Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

So I got to work and the world crumbles

Old 07-14-2004, 09:18 AM

Default RE: So I got to work and the world crumbles

Not a high fence but usually a 3 strand barb wire. I know, i'm a total POS.

B

Here's the difference when they come up and we get a quick snow and use rimfires instead...there are 217 in that picture, just the ones we recovered. Huge problem up here.

http://pic10.picturetrail.com/VOL326...5/28197315.jpg

These are the same 217 before we dumped em out...

http://pic10.picturetrail.com/VOL326...5/28197301.jpg
Old 07-14-2004, 09:26 AM

Blakelyboy,

I DON"T SEE TAGS ON THOSE DEAD ANIMALS!!!!!!!!

Wow, you really killed a bunch of them. There must be holes eerywhere. We have somthing similar here at work in Jersey City, they are called RATS. I bet you that if I shot an arrow at a rat in NJ, I would get arrested and PETA would be on my doorstop. I remember the guy who trapped a live rat, called the humane society, and before they arrived he killed it. He was either fined or arrested for killing a RAT.

What a world we live in, RATS have rights too.

T
Old 07-14-2004, 09:56 AM

Check out all the blood spots in the snow........... It looks like a war zone
Old 07-14-2004, 10:04 AM

ORIGINAL: Double Creek

Check out all the blood spots in the snow........... It looks like a war zone
LOL, too funny, those dark spots are either cow shyt or gopher hole mounds but the snow did tend to get a little red around the holes. When the snow hits and there's 6 inches just like that the gophers are all sittin on their mounds and they can't do much else till it melts, it runs into their holes, they don't like diggin through it to find something to eat so they wait. Those are the few times in the spring that if your ready you can really do a decent number on them but ya gots to have a brick of rimmies for each man. That was just a morning shoot.

I didn't mean to hijack the thread folks, Rack started it.

Kinda figured the pc police would step in by now...figured there'd be some more fuel to the fire with my links too? Time will tell.

B
Old 07-14-2004, 10:28 AM
Typical Buck

Kill all you want Blakley. Is there a season on them?
Old 07-14-2004, 10:32 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Tomster

I bet you that if I shot an arrow at a rat in NJ, I would get arrested and PETA would be on my doorstop.

Just don't shoot the rats in the shoulder and you'll probably get off.
Old 07-14-2004, 11:10 AM

ORIGINAL: 14mercs

Kill all you want Blakley. Is there a season on them?
No season, purely vermin/pests. One rancher we shoot for runs 600 head of cattle by himself and has no time to deal with his pests, one quarter section last year we cleared about 700 gophers so its good for a few years, couldn't find anymore. Another quarter had my best guess of about 4000 and we shot it all summer and it seemed like we only got half. Badger holes 10' in every direction and the gopher holes you couldn't begin to count...swiss ground(as opposed to swiss cheese). That one quarter is about as nasty as it can get...then in late spring there's a whole new batch of the young which average about 5 per female! So if you really want to do the best work you gotta deal with as many as possible before the young come...even then its like you hadn't done a dang thing. It always pleases the pc/ethics folks to know that they don't just go to waste either. The birds get most, magpies, crows, ravens, hawks and even eagles will land in the fields to eat the dead. The rest get cleaned up overnight by the coyotes and badgers. In 24 hours that pile of gophers was gone believe it or not, not even so much as a blood stain was left on the ground as we went back the next day to shoot. Even i was amazed at that.

B
Old 07-14-2004, 11:26 AM

For those politicians that are attempting to whitewash the occurrence, diminish the significance of the act and the actions of Len and davidmil by demeaning those opposed, and trying to justify the incident by using examples that are in complete contrast; doing so might make you feel better if you are trying to surreptitiously justify having the same character, and some others might buy into the same defense for the same reasons or because of a ridiculous forum loyalty to elected gurus.

However, I have never been so confident of a probability when I say; you put the entire incident before a large group of real hunters, regardless of weapon used, I am positive that to the man and to the women, all would consider the entire incident, from the act to the display of the photos, totally an half-witted act, a blatant infringement upon the reputation of all good hunters, and an act that could only be committed and then worldly-revealed by someone so arrogant and so stuck on his/herself as to believe they could do so without repercussions.

My opposition has nothing to do with being an "ethics cop." However, if some believe that the term fits me, and that is the best they can do to justify their own indiscretions, so be it. I would rather that I am seen in the position that I choose, then to be seen in the position that some others have chosen.

Some people are well covered by the fact that ignorance is blissful.
Old 07-14-2004, 12:55 PM
Nontypical Buck

C903,
I do respect your right to your views but you have actually let this ruffle your feathers more than it should have in my opinion(which i'm sure you could really care less about).It doesn't make sense to me that you're soooo upset about this when the shot taken by len did what he intended to do---harvest a deer.I see what your saying about the placement but the deer is still just as dead.