Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Going to the Dark Side

Old 07-13-2004, 08:06 AM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Going to the Dark Side

I have an 80 lb Samson VFT and a 100 lb Samson on the original Extreme solo platform.
If you are up to the extra poundage I see no reason why you can't shoot them as well an any other bow, but my experience has shown them to require more maintenance. Strings wear out quicker, keeping accessories tight is a hasell, carbon arrows that may be adequately spined initially degrade quicker, and as long as you stay at 5 gr/lb are not much faster than a 70 lb bow. Yes, the KE is a lot higher, but that is a moot point with any animal I'm going to hunt.

Just a quick opinion,
Vic
Old 07-13-2004, 09:13 AM

I appreciate the feedback on the topic so far. I do understand that I do not need a bow with 90lb limbs but how many of you have things you don't need. I was just interested in tinkering around with it out of curiosity. I plan on ordering a lighter pair of limbs to hunt with because as it has been said you don't need anymore than 70 lbs on any animal in North America. I would rather take quiet and smooth any day of the week over speed when hunting. Best way to describe it is "Hey your truck might be able to run 120 mph if you wan't it to but you don't always drive that fast. Same thing with a bow with 90lb limbs. As for mahews and bowtech debate.

As for the Mathews Bowtech debate: A dead deer is not concernd what bow he was shot with!
Old 07-13-2004, 01:30 PM

Well I have never been a mathews fan but I have shot Pearson, High Country, Hoyt and Parker but this year I got a Bowtech and could not be more pleased with my choice. Good luck with your Bowtech!!!
Old 07-13-2004, 06:02 PM

Mathew's owners dont tend to turn rabid on bowtech owners most of the time..let them be that way...green with envy..Answer me this: If bowtech is so much better, why does mathews DOMINATE on the 3-D circuit? hmmm.....thats what i thought...Mike Beatty was shooting a mathews when he shot his buck..not saying it had anything to do with him killing the buck,but bowtech can't claim a P&Y world recrod..food for thought

slayer
Old 07-13-2004, 06:39 PM

Both are great bows & have a market. I have shot plenty of both & I will say the new Liberty is one of the best shooting bows I have shot in a long time.
Old 07-13-2004, 08:18 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Deerslayer_37

Answer me this: If bowtech is so much better, why does mathews DOMINATE on the 3-D circuit? hmmm.....thats what i thought

What did you think? LOL...I can't wait to hear this one...

If you're talking about Pro classes I'd say the answer's pretty simple and if you're talking amateurs, BowTech bow shooters have claimed some titles in varying classes as well as winning the IBO's "Best of The Best" in 2001...

...Mike Beatty was shooting a mathews when he shot his buck..not saying it had anything to do with him killing the buck,but bowtech can't claim a P&Y world recrod..food for thought

Umm, I'm not sure if you know this but Mike couldn't claim a P&Y record either until they lifted the 65% let off rule this year because his Mathews bow had high let off.
Old 07-13-2004, 08:49 PM
Nontypical Buck

slayer's signature explains allot of things. A.D.D.