Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Stealth Cam DIGRC-XTR (Digital) REVIEW!!!!!

Old 07-12-2004, 11:38 AM

Default Stealth Cam DIGRC-XTR (Digital) REVIEW!!!!!

Hey guys,

Finally, after three weeks, I got my camera. It has been a long wait, and this was the third camera that I had ordered (the other 2, a cuddeback and a trail spy, were both on back order).

First Impressions...... After getting the package open, my intial impression was that the unit was very small, which I really like. The small size not only makes it easier to pack into the woods, but it also makes the camera stand out less in the woods. The unit is also very light which is very nice for packing it and out of the woods!

Quality....... This is a big differance than the 2 MC2-G's that I had. This camera seems to have a much more "tight" construction. The front face tabs are tighter which makes the camera snap shut tighter (the MC2-G I had last year was opened by a raccoon). The buttons are all easy to read and the camera isn't complicated at all.

Camera noise..... This was another great point of this camera. I used the external shutter button to take a picture and it was very very very quiet. The only "noise" was the slight pop sound that the flash makes. The digital camera inside makes no noise at all.

Settings........... This camera is more complex than the MC2-G as far as getting all the settings correct. If you read through the directions BEFORE setting it up, it shouldn't be a problem for anyone, but like myself, alot of guys will just try and figure out the settings themselves which can be done but is a good bit more challenging. Still though, the settings are all clear and easy to understand once you know what they are. The settings are all viewed on the front LCD screen. You can set the date, time, picture delay, picture event, picture quality, ect..

Attachment....... The unit still uses the cheesy "strap and lock plate" that comes with the MC2-G units. The only differance I saw is that the "lock plate" seems to be sturdier. It doesn't seem like it would bend nearly as easily. The strap still doesn't lock the unit tight enough to the tree. If a squirrel were to jump on the unit, they could slide it to the base of the tree. I would suggest using a different strap to secure it to the tree.

The camera is set-up right now over my gravity feeder in my back-yard. It has been getting hit by squirrel, turkey, raccoons, deer, doves, bluejays, chipmunks, ect... and it is set at 2 pictures every 1 minute. I will check it tommorow to see if I got any pics over-night and I will be posting them at that time.

Just wanted to let all you guys know that I finally got it
Old 07-12-2004, 11:46 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Stealth Cam DIGRC-XTR (Digital) REVIEW!!!!!

Looking forward to some photos, good luck
Old 07-12-2004, 11:56 AM

I'm glad you've found the quality to be there. I can't wait to see the pics with the 3.1mp camera. I've been really happy with my digital steatlth, I hops you the same success. Now let's see some pics
Old 07-12-2004, 12:43 PM
Nontypical Buck

Nice... hope you get some good pics with it!
Old 07-12-2004, 05:04 PM
Fork Horn

I'm looking forward to seeing your pics! Iam also considering buying one. Let us know how long the batteries hold up and if the sensor triggers quick enough. These seem to be the reported negatives of the camera ( as reported by other camera makers).
Old 07-12-2004, 05:26 PM
Nontypical Buck

And I JUST sent mine back to Cabela's today. I am NOT impressed with the Stealth unit at all. The 3 MG images looked great ......... WHEN you get one! [&:] I found that this unit is unacceptably slow when triggering on deer. I had way to many pics of deer rumps at several different distances. I actually walked past the Cam on several instances while experimenting with it and it didn't trigger fast enough. In fact, saturday when I checked it, I had 6 pix with NOTHING in 'em. Not only is the sensor to slow, a very tight field of view as well which only makes matters worse, BUT the batteries were being eatin' up in only 4 to 6 days!!! I'm glad I bought the camera from Cabela's so that I could utilize their money back, no questions asked return policy. I'm exchanging the unit for the Nontypical Cuddeback. If I'm not impressed with this unit than I'm gonna try the Trail Spy. Good luck to Buck Mag, I REALLY hope you have better luck with yours then I did mine.
Old 07-12-2004, 07:09 PM
Giant Nontypical

Jason!

Glad to hear you got your cam ,I can't wait to see some of your pic's when you post them .I'm hoping my Stealth MC2 comes real soon so I can get it out in the field ,maybe I can get some pic's of the deer I chased around all last season.

nubo
Old 07-12-2004, 07:36 PM

Hey guys,

I got back tonight at 8:30p.m. and decided to go see if I had any pics and sure enough, I had 2 pics already. They are pics of raccoons.

It had been raining really hard, and after the rain stopped at 8:03 p.m. this raccoon came out.

We will see how this pans out. Hopefully I have more luck than Cornfed did!

Old 07-12-2004, 08:25 PM
Nontypical Buck

If you don't mind me asking...How much is that cam?

I've been looking, but I'd hate to drop over $400 in one right now.
Old 07-12-2004, 09:55 PM

Pro-Line, I got mine for $388 which is alot of money, more than I ever thought that I would pay for a scouting camera, but, I will make that money up in film costs and film development from my 35mm cameras in no time.

Hopefully tommorow I will have some more pics to post.

Quick Reply: Stealth Cam DIGRC-XTR (Digital) REVIEW!!!!!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.