Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

your first deer

Old 07-09-2004, 11:30 PM

Default your first deer

what was your first deer and how did you get it? i got mine just last year. it was the duck opener and i had brought my bow along just for fun. i went out the night before and got set up in this old wooden stand and saw quite a few deer right away, but they were all down wind of me and never came within range of a good shot. it was nearing dark when i was just about to get down and i see this doe coming from the other direction heading my way. i waited until she got between these two trees i had picked because of the open shot. just before i drew back i could hear the 4-wheeler coming to pick me up and right when she was within range i heard my cousin calling my name from the edge of the woods. that deer just perked up and the only thing i could think of doing was to SHH as loud as i could. amazingly it worked both by making him quiet and also by not scaring away the deer. i took aim, let the arrow fly, and had her down 40 yards out.
Old 07-10-2004, 11:40 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: your first deer

My first deer with a bow was killed in a strange manner. I was on the way to my stand in the rain. I was a little late getting out, and it was light enough to see. A nice doe walked down the hill in front of me and stopped at 25yds. I was about 300yds from my stand. I shot her in the hip. She went about 10 steps and collapsed. I'd hit the femoral artery.

Not a shot I'm proud of.....but this was well over 20yrs ago, and I had ZERO bowhunting experience. Worst shot I've ever made...but it turned out great.
Old 07-10-2004, 04:33 PM

I shot my first deer this past season and I am hooked so I bought a bow when they went on sale after hunting season I met a local guy that has been shooting bows for 20 yrs and he has helped me alot I have a bag target at home and I am goin to buy a 3-d deer real soon so hopfully I will be as prepared as possible
wish me luck
Old 07-10-2004, 05:53 PM

well i ll dreaming about my first hope its a good one
Old 07-10-2004, 09:12 PM

I harvested my first deer when i was 18 during my first hunting season ever. I was shooting a remington 870 express with foster slugs. I shot a doe from a ground blind at a whopping 15 feet. She had actually got so close i could have touched her. I had the worst cas of "buck fever" i have ever had. I was hooked for life.
Old 07-12-2004, 09:56 AM
Nontypical Buck

I took my first deer when i was 11yr old. I my brother took me squirrell hunting one morning. he sat me down beside a big pine tree and left me there for a while but return about an hour later. While he was gone i had shot a squirrell that fell about 30 yrd from me down a hardwood hill. he told me to stand there while he walked down and looked for it! we were talkin and making a lot noise messing around in the leaves looking for that squirll when i heard somthing running stait at me? It turned out to be a about 50 lb doe! She stoped about 20 feet from my postion looking right at me! I sead to my brother IT`S A DEER! for some reason he thought i sead there`s a squirrell? to this day i don`t know why he thought that? But he sead shoot it! So i did! Right in the face with my single shot 410 that i got for christmas! she droped in her tracks. I`ll NEVER FORGET IT!
Old 07-12-2004, 10:55 AM
Fork Horn

I shot my first deer at seven a 9 point buck with my .222 my first deer with a bow was when i was 9 she was walking right to me and when i drew back she looked up and i shot her in the neck and she dropped in her tracks. talk about exciting
Old 07-12-2004, 11:50 AM
Typical Buck

here is my first, a doe on the opening day of gun season about 10 years ago, one of my most memorable

Old 07-12-2004, 02:08 PM

first deer was a doe, taken with a rifle. First bow deer was also a doe.
Old 07-12-2004, 02:13 PM

First with a bow was 13 years ago, I was 14. It was a warm afternoon in November and I was set up on a pin oak tree. A little spike still in velvet came in and offered me a perfect shot. I made a great hit and recovered my trophy after about 70yds.

Quick Reply: your first deer

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.