Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

your first deer

Old 07-12-2004, 02:39 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: your first deer

First with a bow was 13 years ago, I was 14. It was a warm afternoon in November and I was set up on a pin oak tree. A little spike still in velvet came in and offered me a perfect shot. I made a great hit and recovered my trophy after about 70yds
Pretty much identical to Double's scenario exept it was 16 years ago. It was a warm Nov. afternoon on my 14th birthday. I was setup under a pin oak and 4 pt came in and I shot him.

Double, your buck still had velvet in Nov.?
Old 07-12-2004, 03:58 PM

My first deer was just last season with my bow. It was a sunday the last day for early season bow. It was a very cold December day and the sun was just beginning to set. I was sitting in my stand and about 100yrds away is a road. I was watching a truck go by and all of a sudden i heard a very loud pop. The funny thing was that the truck never stopped it just kept on going. I was thinking i bet that guy hit a deer and i was hoping more was with it and was heading my way. Well sure enough right then i heard leaves and twigs start to break coming my way. Doe came in broadside 15yards, double lung shot and the next morning found her 50 yards from my stand. Im hooked for life. The funny thing is i got the shakes after i had shot her. I didnt want to even attempt to get out of my stand for the fear of falling out lol. Great hunt.
Old 07-12-2004, 07:44 PM

The first deer I shot was on a dead sprint about a hundred yards out. One shot right through the neck. I couldnt believe it, but the buck flipped twice and the antlers got stuck in the mud. It was just amazing, also amazing that I dropped it first time ever hunting deer. But the funny thing was, where I spotted the deer is where my dads first deer was killed. He spotted his deer where I killed mine. Thats just always been an interesting thing I will never forget.

One shot, One kill
Old 07-12-2004, 07:52 PM

my first deer with gun was when i was 12 my first year hunting. i had missed a hole bunch of deer and was gettin discouraged. finally we were doing a drive when a group of 13 does/fawns came running out and stopped and looked right at me. they all took off running except for two. i shot at the bigger of the two. it ended up being a nubber. o well u gotta start somewhere and i aint ashamed of shooting em either!
Old 07-12-2004, 09:43 PM

first deer was a half rack 3 point that i shot with my bow when i was 17. i had missed a hen about 5 mins before and another hunter with a shotgun started shooting a flock of hens. i didn't even see the buck that had slipped in between us. he came in to 15 yards and i spine shot him. More i look back, I know now that I would not have taken that shot but it was my first deer and i needed to learn. it took me 2 years of gun hunting and 1 year of bowhunting to finally get my first deer. It always seems like that first one was the hardest!