Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

deer Cocane ?????

Old 07-10-2004, 10:17 PM
Spike

Default RE: deer Cocane ?????

I put a bag (I did NOT mix with water) out and threw a block on top of it this time last summer. By the time the season came around the site had activity. However, from my stand I saw only one buck stop for a lick. BUT, I got a call from my brother today. The area is still getting traffic and now has a three foot diameter circle several inches deep that has been created by deer trying to get down to the minerals. I'll put another bag and block out this season - even though I didn't get my draw!
Old 07-10-2004, 10:41 PM
Nontypical Buck

i would just put out the whole bag. scratch the ground a bit in a 3 foot circle. let nature do the rest. the rain will do its thing.it might be cool for trail cameras but i wouldnt bet on heavy use when the hunting season opens.if you want to save money go to walmart or the home depot and just pick up a 40 lb bag of solar salt used for water treatment. its about 4$ and will do the same thing.it might last a month or two. its kinda neat to see deer come in from far and wide to use the lick but it most likely wont do much for the antler growth. they will dig and make a crater after a while.
Old 07-11-2004, 02:25 AM
Fork Horn

Not trying to tell any one what to do, but here is something I think works as good if not better than deer cocain.

1 50lb bag of di-calcium phosphate
1 50lb bag of plain stock salt
2 50lb bags of red unmedicated trace mineral salt.

This is a mineral mixture that is recomended by the Missouri Department of Conservation and cost about $23.00 to make 200 LBS and can all be bought at the local MFA or co-op.
Dig a 2 to 3 foot deep hole 4 or 5 foot around and mix the mineral with the dirt and the deer will tear it up. Plus you will be giving it all the minerals they need.
Old 07-11-2004, 09:53 AM
Typical Buck

I bought the ready to go liquid. Just put it out 2 days ago.

So is it possible that you can buy the powder and just put it in the dirt with out mixing with "8 gallons untreated water"?

I might go that route if it works for you guys.

Thanks

Jim
Old 07-11-2004, 12:59 PM
Typical Buck

I TOTALLY agree with slobby!!!!! I did this aprox. oe year ago for a total charge of just over 25 bucks. Got 200 lbs of mineral. The deer still dig at that spot...as of a month a ago.

I've also used deer cocaine.....yes it works, and serves it's purpose. Had MUCH better luck with the powder apposed to the liquid. However...for the money you can't beat doing it yourself. You can also ad yeast to the mix and it will help in the digestion for the deer.
Old 07-12-2004, 08:33 AM

Thanks a lot for all the info you guys have given me, its helped a lot!!
THANKS
Old 07-12-2004, 08:37 AM

I'd like to try the large mixture, but cannot find those minerals anywhere near here. I'm not in an agricultural state, and there are no "feed" stores around. Where could I find this stuff?? Thanks.
Old 07-12-2004, 11:02 AM
Fork Horn

is there a way to make the deer discover the cocane quicker? i have used it in the past but it takes too long for the deer to find it and the its already starting to deteriate
Old 07-12-2004, 11:18 AM
Fork Horn

what is teh best food to plant for deer? i have been trying to research this for a few weeks. i heard cloves and other smaller stuff liek alfalfa is great. when should i plant it and which brand is teh best? and i see alot of you guys put down the salt licks how do they work? what shoucl i do with it? break it up? or just leave it out?

thanks again
Old 07-12-2004, 02:37 PM
Giant Nontypical

Bowhunterloh! just find a regular deer trail and put it near that location a rub line probably is the best place to put it, then you'll know that there's a lot of travel activity,and they'll do the rest .