Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Your thoughts on bows

Old 07-10-2004, 12:04 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Your thoughts on bows

Bows have gotten more complex in nine years. Hard to know what is good. The only feature i think i definately have to have is a one cam system. Am i right in that respect?

Not really... The market seems to be migrating to the dual cam and hybrid cams. For a good economical bow.. check out the Reflex(Hoyt), Martin, Parker, Darton, ect...

But if you want the best bow for your $$$$... check out some used top of the line '03 bows.... that's what I'd do.
Old 07-10-2004, 03:53 PM

I disagree with KBacon. yeah, hoyt and reflex are going with a cam and a 1/2, as is Archery Research. Two cams... nah...The PSE one cam bows are actually pretty good for the price. Martin makes a great bow. Theres a bunch of used Hoyt's and Mathews' at the pro shop i go to because guys trade up after a while. the bows are still good. check out your pro shop's used rack.good luck

slayer
Old 07-10-2004, 05:07 PM
Typical Buck

Deerslayer_37... what do you disagree with? Just about every bow company at the ATA show had at least one hybrid or dually cam bow in their lineup except for Mathews.
Old 07-10-2004, 05:51 PM

two cam bows are being made yes, but are they in demand? no. as far as hybrid cam bows, you still can't beat the simplicity of a single cam. after shooting both a hoyt cam & 1/2 bow and the Mathew's LX and outback, i would say a single cam is smoother and better than a hybrid. JMHO

slayer
Old 07-10-2004, 05:51 PM
Typical Buck

I love my Mathew's FX and would have another Mathew's if this one ever wears out . . . or I find a good excuse to buy another.

Absent that, if I had to choose something other than Mathew's it would be a Martin!
Old 07-10-2004, 08:54 PM

Thanks for all your thoughts. I think i will make a trip to the archery shop to see what they have. I just want something more accurate than my old Bear bow. I have killed several deer with it, but i always limit myself to 20 yards or less. I would just like to be able to shoot out to 40 yards with confidence.
Old 07-10-2004, 09:38 PM
Giant Nontypical

Whew! that was close .hahahah

nubo
Old 07-11-2004, 06:29 AM
Giant Nontypical

two cam bows are being made yes, but are they in demand? no.
They're in demand as far as I'm concerned. I'm really enthralled by Martin's Nitrous dual cams. Good speed and an easy draw force curve.

After the last single I had, I took a blood oath that I'll never buy another single cam bow.[:'(] And I'm not too impressed with the hybrids either. [&:]
Old 07-11-2004, 06:44 AM
Typical Buck

I have nothing against Mathews bows... But it's a fact that the single cam is on it's way out.. otherwise.. why would EVERY company that had used primarily single cams in the past would be going to the hybrid or dual cams again? The "timing issues" that made the single cam soo popular have pretty much been negated w/ the better string materials that we have today. Single cams do go out of tune as much if not more than a dual or hybrid cam.. due to the long string and it's tendency to stretch (Zebra strings especially).
Old 07-11-2004, 08:31 AM

I agree with you fully...also the single cams have a tendancy to wear the servings at the idle wheel and cam due to the fact the string is not plum (actually angled) from the idle wheel down to the cam. I know this...I shoot a Mathew's and am looking at buying a dually Bowtech or Hoyt Vipertec

Quick Reply: Your thoughts on bows

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.