Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

High Fences/Exotics

Old 07-09-2004, 08:58 AM
Fork Horn

Default High Fences/Exotics

Hey after recently reading a post about hunting shows many people were bashing ted nugent for hunting on high fences for exotic animals. now i dont care for nugent myself but why does everyone always bash exotic hunts. I go on a least 2 or 3 high fenced hunts every year. normally during the summer months or in between seasons. its a great way to keep your hunting skills sharp and plus exotics are a lot of fun to hunt. high fenced ranches for hunting are normally no cake walk either. for example i own about 80 acres near my house under high fence i keep deer in there not for hunting but for watching and as pets. some time i have trouble finding any of the 14 deer in that pen. many people on this website hunt on small farms of no more than 300 acres which would be unfair if high fenced but now when you make that an 8,000 acre ranch it becomes very hard to find animals it is in no way like a "canned" hunt only a few outfitters or people hunt on very small high fenced areas which i agree is wrong but for the mojority of places you cannot tell that it is even high fenced. just tell me what you think about these hunts and dont bash them just becasue you've never hunted on one refuse to hunt exotics or because you simply cant afford to hunt on one. just tell me why in one good reason that it is bad to hunt on one of these ranches thanks for your input
Old 07-09-2004, 09:18 AM

Default RE: High Fences/Exotics

For me it's plain and simple. Hunting behind a high fence is not fair chase. I'm not trying to stir the pot but a lot of people, myself included do not feel hunting behind a high fence is pure. Although the property maybe 8000 or 800,000 acres the deer can not get out, he is trapped behind the fence.

I'm not knocking you for what you choose to do but it's is not for me.
Old 07-09-2004, 09:20 AM

but why does everyone always bash exotic hunts
only a few outfitters or people hunt on very small high fenced areas which i agree is wrong
Like that???
Old 07-09-2004, 09:30 AM
Typical Buck

While I haven't hunted high fenced exotics. I have, earlier in life, hunted a few exotic dancers...but thats another story.

I know some guys around here that go to Texas every year in the off season to hunt exotics and have a blast! I would like to go someday myself.

Although the property maybe 8000 or 800,000 acres the deer can not get out, he is trapped behind the fence
I'd have to argue the fact on the 800,000 acres. Do you know how many square miles that is????

I'd love to spend an entire season hunting the King in Texas. I know that one season would not be enough time to hunt it all.
Old 07-09-2004, 09:37 AM
Nontypical Buck

Everything is true-it is not for everyone but it is a great experience to try for something we do not normally get a chance to see, let alone hunt. I wanted to extend my Bowhunting season(48 years now) & started researching Exotics & high fence. I did not want a canned hunt & did lots of searching for an entire year. The next 2 years I traveled to several places in 3 states. The places were 1-200 acre low fence hogs only, 1 nearly 500 acres low fence hogs & rams & 2 hogs, no fence, 1 Exotics/hogs 4200 acre high fence & 1 -1000 acre high fence & 1- 3000 acre low fence.. 11 Bowhunts in 2 years making a INFORMATIONAL video on this that I hope to release within the next few months.
I did get a much different perspective on this type hunting & must say, enjoyed them all. No, as I have said, it is not like chasing Elk in the Mountains or Caribou over the Tundra Or sitting over a bait waiting for that single chance at a Bear BUT I believe it has it's place. Not for everyone, but not an easy task as many think that have not experienced it. It can be done at a very reasonable cost as my information does cover-we kept the working man in mind at all times. If your idea of Bowhunting (or hunting in general) prevents you from doing such an experience-I do understand. As for Ted, he is another story. Good Luck in your Bowhunts this year-I have Whitetail planned in Ill., Iowa & Ws & a couple Exotics/hogs too.

Old 07-09-2004, 09:46 AM
Fork Horn

oh yea by the way 800,000 was not me that was adams i said 8,000 and im glad to see how many people feel the same way as me in that they have their place and are not for every one but man the sure are fun for someone who cant afford an expensive trip to africa or something it very cool i think that they can go to texas and still get to see and hunt african game although nothing can quite compare to africa lots of fun
Old 07-09-2004, 09:47 AM
Nontypical Buck

I myself have never hunted behind a high fence. IMHO The only way a high fence operation could be considered a fair hunt? Would be if it were large enough? If you put a guy inside a high fenced ranch of 10,000-acres armed with only a bow. Allow only foot traffic on this ranch. No trucks, atv's or bikes of any kind. Have him hunt the same animals that get hunted every week by average joe hunter? Then I think you would have a "fair hunt".
I have nothing against large high fenced operations. The small operations that have "canned hunts" get under my skin.

Would I ever hunt behind a high fence? Even if I won the lottery I doubt that I would? I can not afford it at this time in my life. If I could afford it? I would rather put that money towards a caribou or moose hunt.

Just my two cents,

WK
Old 07-09-2004, 09:58 AM
Nontypical Buck

well the way i see it i could be wrong and probably am but i think they put the high fences up so that the exotics dont breed with the native species but hey thats just me and i will never hunt in a high fence, i will go to africa and hunt an exotic there....when i get the money
Old 07-09-2004, 09:58 AM

quote:

Although the property maybe 8000 or 800,000 acres the deer can not get out, he is trapped behind the fence
I'd have to argue the fact on the 800,000 acres. Do you know how many square miles that is????
That is quite a few square miles (if my math is correct aprox 1200 sq mi) but I guess my point is the guy down the street that dosn't want to pay a hefty fee to hunt behind the fence can't hunt the animals. To me this is canned(not a guarentee you'll get one and it may not be easy) but anyone on the outside dosn't have the oportunity to harvest the animal first. These animals are in a sence "sold" to who ever is will to pay to play.

Now I'm not saying that I hunt exclusively on public land but I do hunt free rangeing animals. This is my idea of hunting

Exotics I believe should be behind a fence. If they are not native they should not be free rangeing.
Old 07-09-2004, 10:18 AM
Fork Horn

well in response to adams its the same with private land you wont get a shot at hunting that animal before someone else but they are not like that at the big places you cannot "buy" an animal i mean you could hunt for a month and never kill it with a bow. it can be tougher hunting than in the wild. for example i know a guy in alabama who has only 600 acres under high fence there is a buck that is non typical in the 200s and after the season starts he cannot find it i mean doesnt even see it at night or driving around. now 600 is a little too small for my tatses but still it gives you an idea of how tough it can really be

Quick Reply: High Fences/Exotics

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.