Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

High Fences/Exotics

Old 07-10-2004, 01:10 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: High Fences/Exotics

Any of you guys ever fish at a pay lake or hunt at a pheasant preserve?
Its much the same - a large area with mostly contained species and a certain amount of trophy size available.
That doesn't mean every person will catch a fish or take home a trophy, but you are paying for the better chance to.

Conversely, I would never fish in an aquarium under any circumstance.

But the fact is, there is a market and a reason for high fence / exotics the same as a pay lake. I can't afford a high fence hunt so I have never been, probably never will, but it is good to know the option is out there.
Old 07-10-2004, 01:24 PM
Dominant Buck

i mean you could hunt for a month and never kill it with a bow. it can be tougher hunting than in the wild
Oh really???? Now why would that be??? Duhhhhhhhh??????

does everyone always bash exotic hunts
Because it's fun. Just like hunting in the board room....seeing who you can shoot down next. It gives us big business practice.
Old 07-10-2004, 01:33 PM
Dominant Buck

Only 2 did get a hog and they hunted from sun up till sun down in fact the second hog was shot right on dark.

Most commented that it was the hardest hunt they had been on.
That seems a stretch. I'd say nobody knew what the heck they were doing. I could post 7 guys with 60 pigs and take turns walking around while I dodged arrows of the others. Second point.... JUST how many pigs do you think those 8 guys would have gotten walking around in the wild. You bust them once and THEY'RE GONE AND YOU DON'T KNOW WHERE. Our inept hunters knew they were still in the fence. Doesn't take long to figure out where to hunt next. Seems like after 6 or 8 walk-abouts in the fence they'd have figured out a different game plan. I suspect those boys would have had "the hardest hunt they had been on" in a barn.

Which brings us back to another reason people dislike fence hunting. Folks who fence hunt are always telling us it was the hardest hunt of their life. Plain and simple... we know it's not, we hate having our intelligence doubt with such stupid statements.

YUP... we really do enjoy bashing pens. After all, pen hunters are the only hunters who keep trying to justify their "Hunting" to other hunters. They keep coming back for approval and converts and when they don't get any..... they tell us how tough it really is. Why it's tougher than hunting the world.
Old 07-10-2004, 01:46 PM
Nontypical Buck

They keep coming back for approval and converts and when they don't get any..... they tell us how tough it really is. Why it's tougher than hunting the world.
Same could be said of traditional hunters

Sorry couldn't help it
Old 07-10-2004, 01:55 PM
Boone & Crockett

Same could be said of traditional hunters

Sorry couldn't help it
I sure hope that one was tongue in cheek![8D]
Old 07-10-2004, 05:14 PM
Dominant Buck

Ahhhh heck.... I've tried as hard as I could to stir the pot. I'll finish with... what ever floats your boat. To each his own. You do your thing... I'll do mine and I bet we both have fun. After all.... it's suppose to be fun.
Old 07-10-2004, 05:48 PM
Boone & Crockett

Ahhhh heck.... I've tried as hard as I could to stir the pot. I'll finish with... what ever floats your boat. To each his own. You do your thing... I'll do mine and I bet we both have fun. After all.... it's suppose to be fun.
Wow David times have sure changed, I can remember a time in the not to distant past that this subject could run to 10-15 pages, all kinds of insults and opions being thrown out there. I guess folks on our side of the fence have grown up a little and have begun to see thier side and they have also grown some and acknowledged that there is a difference. Times are a changing, maybe we are learning that we need to watch out for each other.
Old 07-10-2004, 09:37 PM

Davidmil:

"YUP... we really do enjoy bashing pens. After all, pen hunters are the only hunters who keep trying to justify their "Hunting" to other hunters. They keep coming back for approval and converts and when they don't get any..... they tell us how tough it really is. Why it's tougher than hunting the world."

I think most of us "pen hunters" couldnt care less what other others think. Personally I dont give a damn what anybody thinks, and there is nobody that I have to get approval from when I decide to do something. The only time we ever try to stress our points is when somebody starts bashing what we do. Now I dont call this "getting approval", unstead I call it standing up for the things you do and enjoy, which I hope every hunter out there will do if the circustance ever arises.

Now I've hunted on high fenced ranches that varied from 1,000 to 40,000 acres and I can honestly say that these hunts were no easier or harder then any hunt I've been on before. Sure there not as hard as chasing dahl sheep in Alaska, but neither is setting in a treestand on the edge of a corn field in Illinois. I have a friend who owns a 2,500 acre high fence ranch, the only people who hunt out there is a few family members and
2-3 friends. If I didnt see the high fence when I first entered the ranch, then I would have never known that I was hunting a high fenced ranch, and this is the case on all the ranches I've been on.

No matter if I'm hunting on a high fence or low fence ranch, its all the same. Its just me with a gun/bow running around spotting/stalking/shooting an animal.
Old 07-10-2004, 11:32 PM
Giant Nontypical

That seems a stretch. I'd say nobody knew what the heck they were doing. I could post 7 guys with 60 pigs and take turns walking around while I dodged arrows of the others. Second point.... JUST how many pigs do you think those 8 guys would have gotten walking around in the wild. You bust them once and THEY'RE GONE AND YOU DON'T KNOW WHERE. Our inept hunters knew they were still in the fence. Doesn't take long to figure out where to hunt next. Seems like after 6 or 8 walk-abouts in the fence they'd have figured out a different game plan. I suspect those boys would have had "the hardest hunt they had been on" in a barn.
Dave.

See there is the exact thought they had.

But what I did not tell them is that the 12 acres is thick with cedar with only very narrow walking tracks that in most cases you have to be crouched over to get through.
Old 07-11-2004, 04:18 AM
Boone & Crockett

This topic has been discussed many, many times and it always gets out of hand so before someones feelings get hurt really bad I'm locking this one up. If you want to do reading on this topic do a search and you find more than you care to read about it.