Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

High Fences/Exotics

Old 07-09-2004, 10:21 AM
Fork Horn

Default RE: High Fences/Exotics

oh yea and i do love hunting free ranging animals.
i have a farm in missouri of about 6,000 acres and there is nothing more satisfing than being able to pattern a huge free ranging buck and arrow him yourself. so im like every onew else in that thats where i do the majority of my hunting
Old 07-09-2004, 10:43 AM

Personally I think it depends on the situation. What critter is being hunted, how large is the fenced area, how many animals are in there. I don't see a problem with hunting exotics in a large area with a low pop. Those "garunteed hunts" have really given the whole industry a bad name.
Hunting fenced up natives tho is just plain taking a shortcut and missses the whole point of hunting in the first place.
Old 07-09-2004, 10:59 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: bowhuntt

Hey after recently reading a post about hunting shows many people were bashing ted nugent for hunting on high fences for exotic animals
I wasn't bashing Ted or his hunting methods, I was simply pointing out the lack of quality hunting shows.

That said, I've got no problem with Exotics or high fences...IF the area is so large and the animals "wild enough" to where it's not an issue..which most likely is the case in many parts of TX...I for one would love to hunt some exotic in that type of establishment..I've eaten nalgai(sp?) before and they are some good eating..wouldn't mind taking one of those bad boys or some of the other deer species (axis, fallow, etc).

However in other parts of the country many of these fenced exotic "hunts" involve paying some guy 500 bucks..letting a half-tame animal out of a cage, and then walking up to it and shooting it.

The latter scenario disgusts me, and IMO these types of ranches/outfitters should be strung up by thier baby makers[:@]
Old 07-09-2004, 11:02 AM
Nontypical Buck

I second what ADAMS sead, no matter if it`s 50 ac. or 10.000.00 ac it`s still behind a fence! And in my opinion thats not fair chass! but what the hay every one to there own
Old 07-09-2004, 04:22 PM

i have nothing against high fences. its not the same as other hunting though. not pure. i would love to hunt exotics in the off seaon some time though. whats the cost of hihg fencing some of that land?[:-] probably a ton

slayer
Old 07-09-2004, 05:22 PM
Nontypical Buck

The first question I would have for anyone bashing on hunting behind a high fence is have you ever done it? Since you are bashing it I would venture to say no. I have never hunted a high fence ranch but I would bet that a sizeable ranch (even as small as 2000 acres) would just about the equivalent of hunting a normal ranch. The only difference being that your neighbor can't shoot your deer but also you can't shoot his. Most of us are not fortunate enough to hunt large parcels of property so I don't believe anybody that hasn't hunted a high fence operation should pass judgement on the people who provide them or the people who hunt them. I have had an opportunity to hunt an 8000 acre low fence ranch for about 5 years now and I can tell you , there are places on that ranch that I still have not seen; and it ain't due to lack of trying. Unless you have ever been on a place that large you can't get a grasp on just how much property that really is. My point being, most of the high fence ranches in Texas are large, not some 200 acre place. I think anything less than 1000 acres under high fence is probably giving the hunter an advantage. Besides, any outfitter that is worth a darn is going to do his best to put his hunters on game, so really I see no difference in paying an outfitter a lot of money for him to put you on deer whether it be high fence or low fence. Either way you are still "buying" that animal as someone else said.

So are you guys against all types of pay hunting? If not you're being hypocritical IMO.
Old 07-09-2004, 09:20 PM

If an animal wants out they can get out. We have a hundred acre high fenced area on our place, it's there to keep the deer from grazing the oats. Last year my brother watched a buck jump over the fence. the fence is at least 9 feet high. we see deer in there all the time and the gates are kept locked.
Old 07-10-2004, 11:32 AM
Typical Buck

We have a hundred acre high fenced area on our place, it's there to keep the deer from grazing the oats
Lets see, you have a high fence to keep deer out! I'll bet the nay sayers will still find something to find fault with.[8D] The reason they're jumping the fence is that there isn't much to eat in Texas and them oats is like candy to them.
Old 07-10-2004, 11:50 AM
Boone & Crockett

I say to each there own, I call myself a hunter because I do it all from the beginning to end, I scout, set stands, kill my deer, dress it, skin it and process it. When I look in the mirror I can honestly say "I am a hunter".

Do not get me wrong, if I won a free hunt on a LARGE high fenced area I would do it, but when I looked in a mirror I would not call myself a hunter because of a kill on one of these places, I would call myself a shooter.

I have no problem with folks hunting high fence operations as long as they do not try to tell me "I am a hunter". Hunters do it all from begining to end.

I am not saying that hunting certain high fence operations does not involve hunting skills in addition to shooting skills, but 90% of the work is already done for you when you arrive, you do your 5% by shooting the animal and then they take care of the remaining 5%.
Old 07-10-2004, 12:58 PM
Giant Nontypical

I took 8 guys on a hog hunt last year on a 12 acre fenced paddock.
There was about 60 pigs in that area and these guys said it would be like shooting fish in a barrel.

Only 2 did get a hog and they hunted from sun up till sun down in fact the second hog was shot right on dark.

Most commented that it was the hardest hunt they had been on.

I have no problem with people hunting behind fences some say you are buying the animal but just remember those that pay a lease fee are also buying the animal.

What I do have a problem is with these places that show you the animal in a small pen and you can pick which one you want. Cause most of those animals have been hand raired and used to humans thus have no fear of humans.

Quick Reply: High Fences/Exotics

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.