Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

noise

Old 07-08-2004, 06:02 PM

Default noise

will the noise i make when pulling up my bow, attaching my saftey harness, ect. scare deer away? Also, will the smell of my harness be detected by the deer?
Old 07-08-2004, 06:45 PM

Default RE: noise

if there are no deer in the immediate area and you are being fairly quiet, you shouldnt have a problem. as far the scent, i would just spray your harness with some cover scent. i wouldnt take any chances. just a quick squirt could make the diffrence.

slayer
Old 07-09-2004, 07:12 AM

As long as you don't make too much clanking noises moving up in your stand or pulling up your gear, you will be alright. I say this because usually once or twice a season I have deer under my stand or coming thru my area only minutes after securing myself into my stand. No kidding! During bow season last year I no sooner got into my stand and got rigged up that a large doe came walking thru. To be honest, I make some noise scratching the trunk and tree when climbing up in my stand and I am sure my bow clanked on the pull up as well as my movements securing my harness to the tree. It was no more than 5 minutes later I dropped the doe. She ran and ran right for a major road and I thought she was going to cross it, but she expired about 15 yards from the edge of the woods!

So, I have made noises walking to my tree and climbing up. I even admit to just getting off my cell phone with my wife or guys from work and within minutes had deer come by.
Old 07-09-2004, 07:46 AM

Just make sure the sounds aren't distinctly "human." By this I mean metallic clanks, etc. Squirrels make scratchy noises on trees, so I don't think that is a big deal. Make sure you spray the harness with scent eliminator as any scent that is distinctly human will make them run for the hills.
Old 07-09-2004, 12:33 PM
Nontypical Buck

if you not in there bedding area or feeding area then u r okay till they get there just make sure your where u need to be at before they are.
Old 07-09-2004, 04:50 PM
Typical Buck

Gennerally, I hunt the bucks bedding area, I am ussually close enough that any unnatral noise has a great chance of ruining my day. Deer will smell your harness, but I assume if they get down wind of your harness they will smell you too?
Old 07-09-2004, 07:50 PM
Dominant Buck

Like all things... your harness should be descented once in a while. It sounds like you leave yours hanging down. I always pull it up with the bow and roll it up and stick it behind my seat. The haul line should really be the least of your worries. Hunt the wind and worry about your own stink and the stink on things you handle more than a haul line...like your bow, stand, pack, etc.
Old 07-09-2004, 08:43 PM
Fork Horn

I have heard of some hunters who say if you have to make noise getting up a tree then make your noise and get it over with. What do you all think? I think it is best to be as quiet as possible.