Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Once In A Lifetime Moose Hunt!!!!!!

Old 07-08-2004, 09:05 AM
Typical Buck

Default Once In A Lifetime Moose Hunt!!!!!!

A Buddy of mine and I have been drawn for Minnesota Moose Hunt in Oct 04! Its a once in a lifetime issued License! I'm pumped!!! The hunt will be in the BWCA (Boundry Waters Canoue Area). So it won't be easy but I don't mined one bit.

Have any of you guys been on a Moose hunt like this?
I haven't even been Elk hunting before. The guy I'm going with has been on alot of bow hunts like Elk, Antelope, Mule Deer, Ect.. But never Moose!
So he at least knows about packing out meat!

I'm so excited, were planing on going up there at the end of Sept to check things out so hopefully we are well prepaired. I've been on a week canoue trip before so at least that Isn't a first!
Old 07-08-2004, 09:10 AM

Default RE: Once In A Lifetime Moose Hunt!!!!!!

Moose hunting is a ton of work after the kill. I was on a hunt last fall for moose in Maine. A friend got the permit and scored on a small bull 585lbs dressed. getting this animal out of the woods was no small feat. If you can take them out of the woods in quarters you'll have a much easier time but it is still a lot of work. Moose hunting is a blast. I hope you guys have lots of fun and good luck on you side.
Old 07-08-2004, 09:14 AM
Dominant Buck

Watch where you step ,
moose cookies are a little bigger than the pasture variety !
Old 07-08-2004, 09:23 AM
Nontypical Buck

congratulations, that does indeed sound exciting, good luck.
Old 07-08-2004, 09:29 AM

Congrats Bird Hunt dog!!!!! That's a tough tag to draw. Are you going to apply for one of the 5 elk tags they are giving out this year? That's a once and a lifetime draw too.
Old 07-08-2004, 09:33 AM
Typical Buck

Not this year.
Old 07-08-2004, 11:34 AM
Fork Horn

I've moose hunted NW Ontario several times, but unfortunately have never harvested one myself. However several people I hunt with have over the years. Your best bet is to find some moose calling videos and learn how to do both a bull and cow call. They're probably gonna show you how to do is using a funnel or some sort, but I've had plenty of success just using my hands and mouth. As far as the hunt goes - your best bet is to concentrate on swampy and low-laying areas. Especially when the weather is warm. The bulls should be going into rut right about that time of year, but if it gets warm during the day they will stick close to water until just before nightfall. Also, the BEST tip I can give you is that if you get a bull to answer you after calling, MOVE AS CLOSE TO HIM AS YOU CAN before setting up for the final approach and shot. I cannot tell you how many times I've had bulls hang up just outside of bow range when they get in close and don't see the moose they think they hear making the calls. They're just like turkeys in a way, and since it's a bit harder to get a moose decoy than it is a turkey decoy you're gonna have to move up. This past October on the last night of my hunt I called in a really nice bull from a few hundred yards away. I was stupid and didn't close the gap between us before he got into a clearcut and headed right for me. About 80 yards before he got to me, he cut away from the edge of the woods and made a semicircle around my position and stayed just out of bow range. Believe me, I was kicking myself in the butt for not following through with a plan I had made after having this same thing happen to me before.

And if you get one - make sure you ate your Wheaties that morning and have fun packing him out! Or hope he falls in the middle of logging road!