Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Whats the best combination of SPEED and KE

Old 07-08-2004, 07:41 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default Whats the best combination of SPEED and KE

WHat do you think is the best combo?
Old 07-08-2004, 07:52 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Whats the best combination of SPEED and KE

Depends. What are we hunting here? If it's deer then I don't consider KE all that important. They just are not big boned animals. A pass thru is a pass thru. I don't care how far the arrow sticks in the ground after doing so. That being said, I try to achieve as much speed as possible while getting the bow as quiet as necessary. It's a compromise, with the edge going toward quiet. So normally I end up with a hunting setup shooting around 255 to 265fps. This year I got a new Martin SlayR and am happy to say my speeds have jumped to around 282fps with a hunting setup and 293+ for 3D. That with a bow shooting 55lbs at a 27.5" draw. Happy days are here at last.
Old 07-08-2004, 03:44 PM
Nontypical Buck

I dont see how its possible to shoot 55 lbs, 27.5 inch DRAW and get 282, are you on CRACK?
Old 07-08-2004, 05:20 PM

Matthewsboy- it is quite simple. Shoot 5 grains per pound with very few accessories on the string on a bow whith an IBO rating of 325+. I think you may be the one on crack if you couldn't figure that one out![8D]
Old 07-08-2004, 06:56 PM
Giant Nontypical

Mathews you should catch up a little on the technical side of archery before you insinuate someone to be a liar. When you obviously have no clue. JMO, Good day.
Old 07-08-2004, 07:33 PM
Nontypical Buck

See my reply to your other post.

I can get 294 fps with over 6 gpp of draw weight, 30" draw length with a string loop and leeches on my string and my bow is deadly silent. I'll let you know what the deer think about it when season gets here.

I have gotten as high as 313 fps with about 5.25 gpp with a peep sight, string loop, and leeches on my bow. Don't be jealous that your Mathews can't do it. [8D]
Old 07-08-2004, 08:26 PM
Boone & Crockett

Mathewsboy,

You may want to consider hanging out a bit over on the technical forum considering the nature of the last few questions that I have seen you post. This type of issue is discussed regularly.

Personally, I like speeds in the 260 to 280 fps range with at least a 400 grain arrow...preferably heavier in some cases. That normally results in KE numbers of between 65 and 75 ft. lbs. With this level of KE I can shoot expandable broadheads with confidence though I could probably get away with less KE via a lighter draw weight and go with a good exposed blade broadhead as well.

Hope this is what you were looking for.
Old 07-08-2004, 08:41 PM
Nontypical Buck

Well, SOrry, But I Personally Dont know ANYONE that shoots those speeds.... I guess we all shoot too heavy of arrows...

I only know One person out of 10 of my friends that shoots carbons, and he is the worst shot...

And his bow is also the LOUDEST..."Hoyt"

Anyways...

Thanks for the info... and the insults
Old 07-08-2004, 08:44 PM
Nontypical Buck

I know one thing, I STILL SHOOT NICE BUCKS....LOL
Old 07-09-2004, 05:07 AM
Dominant Buck

Well, SOrry, But I Personally Dont know ANYONE that shoots those speeds....
OH... there are lots of people in the range PA gave. TAke me, short arm-short draw special. 425 grains at 264 with a KE somewhere around 66.

Take my hunting partner... he's longer draw, heavier poundage etc... Last I knew he was pushing 280 fps and getting KE somewhere close to 80.

I think PA's range is very typical in todays world.

Quick Reply: Whats the best combination of SPEED and KE

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.