Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

shot distance

Old 07-06-2004, 09:59 PM
Fork Horn

Default shot distance

what is the max range you would take a shot at a white tale. i shoot a firestorm lite cf one cam with easton axis 340's at about 68pounds. i can shoot two inch groups at 40 yards but is that to fare to take an ethical shot at a deer. thanks for the help.
Old 07-07-2004, 01:50 AM

Default RE: shot distance

Mate if i had your set up and a white tail popped up upto 50 yards infront of me I'd nail him. (Mind you I'm from Australia and we don't have whitetail over here) Providing he is pretty relaxed that is, as this decreases the chance of him jumpin the string.

I personally think it's up to the capabilities of the hunter. If you can get 2 inch groups at forty yds, thats more then accurate enough. Remember it's more about shot placment rather than distance I think.

Cheers,
Stalkin Steve
Old 07-07-2004, 02:04 AM
Fork Horn

I would not shoot further than 50 yards.I can hit a copenhagen snuff can pretty consistant at 50yds.I think whatever you feel comfortable with given the conditions and situation.
Elkshed
Old 07-07-2004, 10:46 AM
Nontypical Buck

Hitting targets at 50yds is not that hard if your bow is tuned correctly! But bowhunting game is something altogether diffrent! First off an animal is not just a target it`s a living breathing animale that can give a hunter nerve problems to say the least! The animal can jump the " strings" you could "flentch" and ending up with an injured animal. shooting a big game animal at long distances is somthing that takes a little more practice than say just normal shooting, There are hunters that can and do take game ever year from long distance shots. But its not good for every hunter to try to take long distance shots. A hunter should stay within his shooting abilty to make a leathel and ethical kill. Rather than just becouse he thinks he can do it! [&:] RTA47
Old 07-07-2004, 11:42 AM

35 yards is about all i will take, unless conditions merit otherwise, then its either shorter, or in some cases a little longer. But, very rarely longer.
Old 07-07-2004, 11:56 AM
Giant Nontypical

Thirty for whitetail
Forty for Elk
Old 07-07-2004, 03:48 PM
Spike

30 yards for Whitetail is the max for me. There are to many variables the further you get out, and you depending on your shooting lanes you don't always see thoses little twigs and limbs that can deflect your shot.
Old 07-07-2004, 03:54 PM

Right about at 30 yards for a deer standing still and calm. And for a spooky deer, 15-20 yards at most. Like someone had said, shooting at targets is completely different than shooting at live animals and too many variables come into play. Can you also shoot two inch groups at 40 with ALL your hunting clothes on..gloves and head net included, standing in a tree stand 10-20 feet up, most likely shooting at a moving target? That wasn't a shot at you. Just something to think about.
Old 07-07-2004, 03:58 PM

30 yds max. You'd be surprised at the amount of twigs and branches that are in your arrow's flight.
Old 07-07-2004, 04:35 PM

its up to you. If you feel comfortable at 40, take the shot.

slayer

Quick Reply: shot distance

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.