Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Stand placement

Old 07-06-2004, 10:12 AM
Fork Horn

Default Stand placement

Ok last year I put a stand in a funnel and seen alot of deer movement. I hunt between a farm that has a creek bordering it and a field. I hunt with my back to the sun. But the way the deer traveled last year it might be better for me to face the hill. I know everyone puts there back to the sun. What do you all think?
Thanks
Old 07-06-2004, 10:19 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Stand placement

I think putting your back to your sun should be done if possible. If you think the other spot will be better then sit there. Just make sure you don't outline yourself and put some brushy behind you.
Old 07-06-2004, 10:20 AM
Boone & Crockett

Well it sounds like the stand is in the right vicinity, I would make sure that you are not outlined by what is behind you though and also make sure your shadow does not cross the deers path.
Old 07-06-2004, 10:27 AM
Nontypical Buck

There are several reasons to hunt with your back to the sun--the sun isn't in your eyes, but IS in the deer's eyes, you're much more hidden not being in the "spotlight", etc., etc. However, if you won't get a shot like that, it's not going to help. You can try to: 1.) see if there's another tree that will work for you, 2.) consider using a ground blind, 3.) make sure there's plenty of cover to break up your outline if you decide to use that same tree--you can haul up branches if necessary and tie them to the tree--I've done it and it works great.

And perhaps most important of all . . . the sun won't always be in your eyes. It will only affect the morning or evening hunt. Since that's the case, only hunt that stand when the sun isn't in your eyes . . . . and the wind's right!
Old 07-06-2004, 10:31 AM

I never take the position of the sun into consideration. It is nice to have it to your back but for me does not determine stand placement.

Wind ,deer travel routes, and my entrance routes are the major factors for me - let the sun rise and set as it will
Old 07-06-2004, 10:44 AM

I'm thinking along the same line as Rack. Although it's nice to have the sun on your back I'd be more concerned about the prevailing winds. If the wind is in your favor where you're at I stay put and "fix up" your tree. If the other spot is as in favor of the wind as your current position or better, definately give it a go.

Do you have a climber or a hang on style stand?
Old 07-06-2004, 11:03 AM
Typical Buck

I agree with the others. Wind is your most important element on stand placement. Entry and exit routs for the stand have to be thought out as well. If the sun isn’t at your back, o well, just don’t stare at it[8D]
Old 07-06-2004, 11:13 AM
Fork Horn

I have a hang-on and a climber. It is public land but it is the hot spot for early season.
Old 07-06-2004, 01:16 PM
Typical Buck

In hot spots like that, I often put my lock-on in the prevaling wind location and prep a tree for the climber for an opposite wind.