Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

What to do around standing corn?

Old 07-07-2004, 12:39 AM

Default RE: What to do around standing corn?

NEWSHOOTER, the corn should be ready for deer to use by then, unless it's been a really bad growing season. And the deer will keep using it until the farmer cuts it, which is usually anywhere from early to late fall. Some even keep some (I imagine for the deer to use) into the winter. I'd say that deer will more or less be using the corn fields from the time it grows kernels, to the time it gets cut (and even for a while after it's cut).

peashooter
Old 07-07-2004, 06:37 AM

You are not talking about cutting the corn I hope! If I did that to a corn field I might as well kiss my hunting areas goodbye.
You're right. I'll talk to him first and it shouldn't be a problem. He had a crop damage permit last year and I took a number of does off of his place. If it seems that by taking down a few rows of corn I could be saving OTHER corn for years to come by taking a few deer I'm sure he'll be all for it.

One thing I kept from you guys is that one of my sweet spots near a field has a lot of over hanging oak limbs. This year the farmer left about 60 yds from the wood line to the edge of the field and it's nothing but clover growing there. That's gonna be a NICE spot. I'm sure the deer will be working that clover. I was mainly asking how to hunt other parts of the farm.

Thanks for all your suggestions!
Old 07-07-2004, 08:21 AM

Newshooter,

If the Wisconsin season opens sept 18th will the corn be ready or should I use my other stand location in the pines? When does the corn die and do they eat it while it is soft or wait till it gets hard?
There is a period of time when the tassle of the corn stalk starts to darken. That's when the plant is starting to die and the corn cobs start to ripen. The corn itself takes on a sour taste. Taste the corn. You'll see what I mean. The deer don't like it as much then, but will still use the corn field just as much because of the cover that it provides. The deer will start to again hammer the corn after this period because the corn is starting to harden and the taste is starting to come back. They like it when it's young and juicy(sweet tasting) and then when it starts to harden.
Old 07-07-2004, 08:41 AM
Nontypical Buck

Keep in mind the areas you seen deer moving last year. They have been useing these same runs all year and will tend to continue to use them when the corn comes.

Dont cut down the corn. Its easier to deal with it than to find another place to hunt. If it was your field have at it, sounds like it would help.
Old 07-08-2004, 05:42 AM
Fork Horn

All,

I am not advocating going into a corn field and cutting any corn without the permision of the farmer. I don't cut anything. Before the corn gets high and tassles out I simply walk in the corn and bend the stalks to the left and or right to create a lane for the deer. Once you create the lane the deer will clear it out for you. At the edge of the field you need to make an obvious hole into the field. I simply step down on the stalks to make a three foot opening in the edge into about 10 feet or 4 rows. This gives the deer a sensec of security and ease inwhich to enter the field. I sthen walk into the field pushing them aside. The deer will do the rest.