Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Stand for a big man

Old 07-05-2004, 05:55 PM

Default Stand for a big man

Hey Folks This IS BIG EON Now Known AS TATER

I was lookin at a Nice Goliath Summit tree stand Is it worth it for a big guy Foot ball player sise 260 5'8

P.S. Has any one ever used that foliage called Secret Spot if so howd it go

Thanks.

Man IT'S GOOD TO BE BACK
Old 07-05-2004, 06:13 PM

Default RE: Stand for a big man

I have roughly the same dimensions as you - 5'8" 260 lbs

I have the summit viper, it is a tad bit snug when i am in my full winter gear, the goliath has a couple more inches of width that would be nice, at the time i couldnt justify the extra cash though.

I am probably pushing the weight limit when i get all my gear but i hang most of it from the tree while i hunt and so far i have had no problems at all with the stand except on a few occasions getting bent over to get my feet in the straps, the new hard stirrups should eliminate that problem though.

if you have the cash for the Goliath go for it, if not the Viper isnt a bad choice either

You might also want to check out the Grand 'Ol Man stands, they are pretty nice too.
Old 07-05-2004, 07:59 PM

I'm about that size, and I have API bowhunter (bought it before the fallout.) If you can get your hands on one, that someone has laying around that still made in America there pretty comfortable. The only complaint I have is that it doesn't let me sloutch far enough, if the seat came away from the tree just a couple more inches I could spend the night in it.
Old 07-05-2004, 08:48 PM
Dominant Buck

big guy Foot ball player sise 260 5'8
Some may call it a big football player... I call it being overweight and slow.[8D] Make sure you get one that's rated at least 300 pounds. Even at 260 you're pushing the limit on a 275 stand by the time you put on your clothes, carry your bow and other gear. You're just going to have to spring the bucks for one of the magnum types. It only takes one fall.
Old 07-05-2004, 09:14 PM
Giant Nontypical

My buddy Frank is about your dimensions and he uses the Goliath and loves it.
I'm a pretty heavy guy at about 250lbs but I have about 7" on you. I still use the Goliath quite a bit as well as my Cobra top section and the Goliath is a TERRIFIC big guy stand. Rock solid and lots of side to side room.
It's the only stand that I have been able to sit in from Dawn to Dark COMFORTABLY.