Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Has Anyone Ever Shot The Grim Reaper Mechanicals?

Old 07-04-2004, 04:41 PM

Default Has Anyone Ever Shot The Grim Reaper Mechanicals?

I have been looking at the Grim Reaper Mechanical broadheads and was
wondering if any of you have actually used this head before? If so how
did it perform?
Old 07-04-2004, 07:33 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Has Anyone Ever Shot The Grim Reaper Mechanicals?

I have heard they fly very much like field points. They also do not use rubber bands and the blades are not loose like NAP Spitfires. My son is planning on trying them this fall.

I am very much interested in seeing what other have to say. Hope you get some responses to this.
Old 07-06-2004, 04:09 AM
Nontypical Buck

I tested them a while back. They are good heads and will get the job done if your setup is tuned and has enough KE.
Old 07-06-2004, 06:08 AM

i killed 2 turkey with them, but have decided to go with a 1 1/4 inch expandable. i'll say this - they work fine, but just to make sure they are flying like your field points you'll have to shoot a couple a couple of times - don't plan on hunting with these. buy a pack just for practice because you'll never get those blades to open as smoothly as they are supposed to after putting them in a target - even double banded. they did shoot just like my field points by the way.
Old 07-06-2004, 08:51 AM

Just got back from Saskatchewan on a bear hunt and two of the guys in our grop shot them for black bear and they both dropped their bears inside 50 yards complete pass through on both of them. They love them and they do fly like darts. 100 grain spitfire did the job on my bear but I am thinking of giving the Reaper a try.
Old 07-06-2004, 08:57 AM
Nontypical Buck

I dont shoot any mechanicals that require rubber bands, i like the spit fire 100gr, i think they are great.
Old 07-06-2004, 08:34 PM

I used the the 100 grain last year; killed 2 doe and a management buck, They fly straight and true but down here in Texas you can bet if you have a pass thru you'll be hitting a rock.The ferules bent on all of them, But I have several left and will use them this next season without thinking twice about it. My brother shot a nice 140 class in the shoulder from 10 feet off the ground at 20 yards should have killed the deer but didn't. he uses the Montec G5 and will use nothing else look into those, about the same price too.Just My opinion
Old 07-07-2004, 08:37 AM
Nontypical Buck

I dont shoot any mechanicals that require rubber bands, i like the spit fire 100gr, i think they are great.
The Grim Reaper heads do not use rubber bands. I wouldn't even consider them if they did. They work very much like the spitfire only the blades are not loose. That is my only complaint with the spitfires. I still don't know what I will be shooting this fall but if you like the spitfires then take a look at the grip reapers. I just don't know if I can switch to mec's. I like 5shots review of the crossfire. Might go with that.