Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

is a helical needed?

Old 07-02-2004, 09:37 PM

Default is a helical needed?

As always the best way to find out is to ask. So will a helical truly improve your arrow flite in a hunting set up when using fixed broadheads? I use the muzzy zero effect and love it, they suggest using as much of a helical as possible, but I was also told that on fixed heads that the spin may cause the blades to plain and be less accurate and slow down arrow speed. What has been your finding on this? Thanks for the help. (I use muzzy heads).
Old 07-02-2004, 09:56 PM

Default RE: is a helical needed?

I haven't heard of any "true" negatives to using helical with drop away rests. I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong.
Old 07-02-2004, 10:37 PM
Boone & Crockett

Helical fletched arrows create more drag at the rear of the arrow and also create more spin on the arrow.

So the effect of helical fletching is two fold.

One is that the extra drag allows the fletchings to have more control over the arrow than the broadhead does. You can only have 100% control of an arrow and it is far easier to steer something from the front than it is from the rear. So if you have three straight fletched vanes your vanes would have (hypotheticaly) 50% control over the arrow and the broadhead has the other 50%. Now go to a 2 degree offset and now your vanes have 60% control over the arrow and the broadhed only 40%. Now put on full helical vanes and now the vanes have 80% control of the arrow and the broadhead only 20%.

Two is that the added spin creates a gyroscopic effect on the arrow which promotes the stabilization of the arrow. Just like a rifle bullet. It is much harder for a spinning object to change course or direction whin it is spinning at a high rate of speed.
Old 07-03-2004, 12:13 AM
Dominant Buck

I always shot straight fletched for about 3 decades. When it came time to tune broadheads it was always a tedious job. When I got done I'd number and mark arrows and all that. Of course some were better than others. Lens guy talked me into trying a little helical a couple years ago. Where I used to buy a dozen and end up with 7 or 8 hunters at best from a dozen I now can just about grab any of them and I know they'll shoot. I use a Muzzy Zero and it works just fine. I haven't really lost any speed to speak of. In my opinion... if you're shooting fixed a little offset or helical is really good.
Old 07-03-2004, 12:14 PM
Nontypical Buck

Yes, an aggressive helical is excellent for a fallaway rest and fixed blade b-head rig. Maximum stabilization for excellent in the field accuracy. The posts above explain it really well. Try the new NAP Quik Spins,....... you wanna talk about awesome spin and some great b-heads groups!!!
Old 07-03-2004, 03:17 PM
Dominant Buck

I just have the slightest helical on mine. Don't really need aggressive.