Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

This buck versus the bucks in your area....

Old 07-02-2004, 01:12 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default This buck versus the bucks in your area....

This deer scores 124.. On Average... How does he rank for deer in your area, and would you shoot him or would you pass...

I want to know how our deer stand up to other deer...

We have harsh winters and no crops or food plots or anything like that.... so we can't grow BIG ones like Illinois and so on...
Old 07-02-2004, 01:27 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: This buck versus the bucks in your area....

Here

Old 07-02-2004, 01:45 PM
Typical Buck

He's a dandy. That'd be about a 4 1/2 year old here in southwest Montana. I doubt I could pass him up, especially since my brain adds an exta 5-10 points to every buck anyway.
Old 07-02-2004, 01:49 PM
Nontypical Buck

That's a very nice whitetail. CONGRATS on a fine animal. Could you give us some more stats on 'em??? Weight, age...??? Thanks
Old 07-02-2004, 01:52 PM
Nontypical Buck

182 lbs
Old 07-02-2004, 01:56 PM
Typical Buck

He is average for a 2.5 year old buck here. I would pass him up only because I have shot a few of these boys in the past and some bigger and like to only hold out for the biggin's now. He would likely grow up to be a very nice buck in the midwest or if given proper nutrition even where you are at.
Old 07-02-2004, 01:59 PM
Nontypical Buck

That buck stacks up just fine! I don`t think i would have let him pass unless there was one bigger right behind him
Old 07-02-2004, 02:09 PM
Nontypical Buck

A fine animal that could very well be a 2 1/2 from here in west-central IL. Still, he is a buck that the vast majority of folks even from this trophy area would be proud to take. Also, being as an IL resident can take 2 bucks most would gladly fill tag number 1 with 'em. Personally, I would enjoy watching the buck but would opt to wait for a slightly more mature animal. Especialy with this bucks 10 point frame, I would love to see him move into the next age class. A great bowkill regardless, congrats again.
Old 07-02-2004, 02:14 PM
Giant Nontypical

He would get shot real quick. THat is an excellent buck for my area, either being a huge 2.5 or an average 3.5.
Old 07-02-2004, 02:22 PM
Nontypical Buck

I am assuming he is a Michigan buck. I am also assuming that 124" is the gross score perhaps even a green score not a net score. He doesn't look like he carries much mass or tine length and a 124 score looks generous from my perspective but then again photos are often deceiving so don't take offence to my obsevations.

On the flip side if in fact he is a Michigan buck, he is way above average (as you know) for the State. It isn't that they can't grow big in Michigan, it is that with 700,000 hunters all wanting to kill a buck they don't very often get the opportunity to mature in most areas.

When some people hunt the midwest they expect to find a monster behind every tree (again a rhetorhical exaggeration). It just isn't so. Before there are any existing "monster bucks" (170 or greater) there has to be small bucks that can grow up to at least age 3 1/2 and beyond.

A trophy hunter here would in most cases pass on a buck that size in hopes that it would survive and get even bigger. But there are exceptions.

At any rate, that is a buck to be proud of from any area of the country, especially Michigan, congratulations!

Quick Reply: This buck versus the bucks in your area....

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.