Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

This buck versus the bucks in your area....

Old 07-05-2004, 05:19 PM

Default RE: This buck versus the bucks in your area....

If your hunting in the Md-Atlantic area and don't see this everyday find a new spot to hunt. They are out there.
Fieldmouse, I must admit that your comment almost made me laugh out loud. Were you serious when you insinuated that anybody hunting in the "mid-Atlantic" area should see bucks like this "every day"? Are you for real? Yeah, no doubt that nice bucks exist where I hunt. I killed a 120" buck in 2002, which was my nicest so far and one of the top 3 that have been killed up there in the past 20 years. They're just not as big or as thick as they in some other areas. I hunt the mountains of western Maryland and that means two things: a screwy buck-to-doe ratio and a somewhat limited food supply. I'd love to know which pen you hunt in. Maybe you could take some pictures of your BC bucks.

Kudos to you! [8D]
Old 07-05-2004, 07:59 PM
Giant Nontypical

I have been bowhunting here for the last 4 years, and I have yet to see one even close to that. There is no doubt in my mind that I would have taken the shot, heck, some will look down on me for this, but I would shoot one half that size, at least for my first one.
Old 07-06-2004, 05:25 AM
Dominant Buck

ORIGINAL: JimboHunter1

If your hunting in the Md-Atlantic area and don't see this everyday find a new spot to hunt. They are out there.
Fieldmouse, I must admit that your comment almost made me laugh out loud. Were you serious when you insinuated that anybody hunting in the "mid-Atlantic" area should see bucks like this "every day"? Are you for real? Yeah, no doubt that nice bucks exist where I hunt. I killed a 120" buck in 2002, which was my nicest so far and one of the top 3 that have been killed up there in the past 20 years. They're just not as big or as thick as they in some other areas. I hunt the mountains of western Maryland and that means two things: a screwy buck-to-doe ratio and a somewhat limited food supply. I'd love to know which pen you hunt in. Maybe you could take some pictures of your BC bucks.

Kudos to you! [8D]
I'll be in Greenridge in about 3 weeks. Your right about Western Md and the deer. You have so many hunters a button buck dosen't stand a chance. They are there and I've got a few good spots. I prefer the residential areas though. I've got so many spots now it's nice to be able to pick the best honey holes. I will attemp an early season picture hunt this year. Stay tuned.
Old 07-06-2004, 06:24 AM

Great buck He would be a good buck for the aeras I hunt in Maine and New Hampshire. I have seen bigger but if a deer like this attempt to walk by I'd have to arrow him.
Old 07-06-2004, 06:50 AM

Around here, only about 1 out of 30 bucks will be that large. Pass him up here, and you may go several seasons without shooting one.
Old 07-06-2004, 07:48 AM
Nontypical Buck

Very nice Buck-having lived in Illinois & Iowa all my life there is a very SMALL percent that would pass on that Buck no matter what you read. Those that would must have a special little PRIVATE honey hole for sure. I been doing this 48 years now & have Bowhunted some of the MOST prime spots around. You have a Buck to be proud of-especially where you are from. Oh, I doubt if you would get any laughs from anyone in Ill. , Iowa or Ws. either. Congrats. I have shot smaller for sure & having run a pro archery shop & lanes for 15 years (in the past) have seen tons of Bowshot deer from Prime Ill., Iowa areas. I have had Deer score gross 140, 125, 130, 115,151,153 to name a few that won our Big Buck contests. those over 140 just don't come around that much.
I passed on one buck that size last year at 20 yards because I KNEW 2 larger ones were in the area-I MISSED one (guess 160) at 32 yards.
This is a pic of one of my better bucks & I don't have that many for living in the GIANT DEER BELT (haha). good Luck to all this season.

Old 07-06-2004, 08:30 AM

I took that same deer this past year!!!! Well, not the same one but one very similar. The dimensions are fairly close, I didn't have him scored so I'm just gonna go with yours.

But would I shoot him this up coming year? No, I'm holding out for bigger. That deer here would be a big 2.5 or average 3.5 year old. Mine was 2.5. So I'm thinking MD and MI are probably similar, can't get people here to stop shooting spikes and forks either, but there are a few big ones out there, see em every year.

Good luck, and nice buck. Hope you got him mounted like I did mine.
Old 07-06-2004, 08:50 AM
Nontypical Buck

Nice buck, that is what i call a mount buck...........not a record but would make a nice mount.
Old 07-06-2004, 09:36 AM
Nontypical Buck

I've seen a few that big or bigger but it's bigger than anything that i've taken so i would definately shoot that buck!
Old 07-06-2004, 09:42 AM

i would shoot him with a bow not a rifle, nice deer though

Quick Reply: This buck versus the bucks in your area....

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.