Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

What do I need for early season bowhunting

Old 07-02-2004, 07:51 AM

Default What do I need for early season bowhunting

What do I need for early season bowhunting. I don't mean the gear, I mean the items you wouldn't think about. I don't want to be up in my treestand and not have something. For instance water. (Saw this on another post) I would have never thought of that.
Old 07-02-2004, 08:08 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: What do I need for early season bowhunting

Insect repelant! flying insect that bit! [:'(] "ticks"[:'(] Ect
Old 07-02-2004, 08:11 AM

A tag
Old 07-02-2004, 08:35 AM

In the early season it is light out late so you are hunting late. A big things guys don't consider is what to do with the deer after you shoot it. Most butcher shops are not open late. If you don't butcher it yourself you need to have a plan. A nice cool garage/basement to hang it in, quarter it and put in coolers until you get to the butcher shop. YOu need a plan so you don't loose the meat because of warm weather.
Old 07-02-2004, 09:11 AM

what type of insect repellant can you use??? everything I know of can be smelled a mile away.
Old 07-02-2004, 12:01 PM

I like no stinkin bugs earth scent. Isnt sticky and does a great job keepin bugs away. Also, take an ice chest with water or somethin in there cause it gets hot. I take a jacket in my backpack cause sometimes it gets cooler when the sun starts to go down, plus, if im wearin short sleeves i want to try and camo up more during prime hours. Other than that, i dont have any special things i take during early season.
Old 07-02-2004, 12:09 PM

don't forget your pee bottle!
Old 07-02-2004, 12:59 PM
Fork Horn

I like to sit for a long time so that some food. apples/ pb&j
I'm also with okiejim gotta pee
Old 07-02-2004, 09:19 PM

Yep, I agree with the cooler for the meat. I passed up many deer last year because it was 80 deg here in KY most of the early season, and then never had a shot after the weather cooled. I bought a 148 quart cooler for this season! I also agree that you need bug spray. I like anything with Permithrin that you spray on your clothes (ahead of time) and not your skin. It seems to be odorless after it has dried. Don't let the ticks get you. In Aug-Sept, the newly hatched brown ticks (seed ticks) are waiting in packs for their first feeding. After that, they will hibernate until the next spring I believe. I had 150+ bites on me after one hunt. Not a single bite since using the Permithrin spray.
Old 07-02-2004, 11:16 PM

Thermacell if you don't want to use any sprays. Lots and lots of "No scent" sprays. You'll sweat buckets in the early season depending on where you're at. It's a good idea to spray yourself down 3 - 4 times a day if you sit on stand all day. You can't trust the no scent soaps completely in 80 degree+ heat.

Quick Reply: What do I need for early season bowhunting

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.