Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

What do I need for early season bowhunting

Old 07-03-2004, 04:52 AM

Default RE: What do I need for early season bowhunting

Hey y'all,
I hunt in the lowcountry of SC which is almost all swamp and open bean fields and bow comes in in August 15 so the heat is still stifling. Last year it was literally 95 degreees going to the stand in the afternoon so scent control was almost impossible. Luckily, at least for the first few hunts, the deer are pretty much clueless. I used lots of "stealth dust" by Knight & Hale as it seems to help with the perspiration. Also one item that I picked up last year that I don't know how I did without all these years is a Shannon's Bugtamer. I can't say enough about it. I can go to the stand in just my t shirt and boxers and the bugs can't touch me. I shot a 7 point in velvet last Aug 15 at 12 yards and he didn't have a clue I was in the world...the bugs actually helped on that one b/c he was so busy shaking his head to get rid of the mosqiotoes ("SC state bird") that I was able to draw on him at such close range from only 15 feet up.
Old 07-04-2004, 01:03 PM
Fork Horn

Don't forget your safty harness, release, to sharpen and bring your knifes, ties for your tags, to empty out at home, I always leave TP in the car, you never know, to brush teeth with baking soda, don't forget to have fun because you'll be back at work before you know it and to never forget that you are not alone.
Old 07-04-2004, 02:03 PM
Typical Buck

Things I have in my pack...

knife or 2
extra release
small roll of TP
pair of latex gloves
bottle of water
muchies
magazine or book
compass
scent cans (35mm canisters w/ cotton in them)
extra scent
scent killer spray
extra clothing depending on weather
rag to wipe hands/knife on
ect...
Old 07-04-2004, 04:42 PM
Nontypical Buck

I wouldn't bring water because then you will have to go to the bathroom. Also if you do it doesn't matter if you go in a bottle the deer can not tell the difference between humane urine or deer urine.
Old 07-04-2004, 05:20 PM

i disagree with thenuge15. i ALWAYS carry water. it only makes sense to carry it during the hottest part of the season.

ORIGINAL: thenuge15

Also if you do it doesn't matter if you go in a bottle the deer can not tell the difference between humane urine or deer urine.
but i do agree with him on this.
Old 07-04-2004, 08:06 PM
Nontypical Buck

For where you live ZAK, I'd definitely say a couple of bottles of water and either insect repellant or get a Shannon's Bug Tamer, at least the top.
Old 07-05-2004, 02:11 AM

plenty of water.........first aid kit and survival kit.....extra flashlight pee bottle.........a small bottle of scent killer to bring on the stand.....
Old 07-05-2004, 06:44 AM
Nontypical Buck

I've sweated my arse off plenty in the past while wearing my shannon bug tamer outfit. My hunting buddy just uses the earth scented mosquitoe repellant and actually saw more deer per hunt than I did (same lease). I'm gonna give it a whirl this year because even with the bug tamer on the skeeters still buzz your head, bite your hands and harrass you the whole time.
I also use a thermecall on the less windy days, but I swear I can smell it.
Old 07-05-2004, 07:51 AM
Nontypical Buck

Yeah I guess I never took into consideration where other ppl live according to how hot and dehydrated they get. I live in Michigan and I have never been in my stand wanting water or getting to hot/dehydrated. I would imagine south it would be much different and you would need a lot more hydration.