Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

broadheads vs. mechanicals

Old 06-30-2004, 09:02 AM
Typical Buck

Default broadheads vs. mechanicals

Young to bowhunting and was wonfering which you all shoot. Mechanicals or broadheads and why?
What brand do you shoot?

Right now I have Scorpion XP mechanicals on, but was told that the blades may not open on an angled shot and I should look into shooting broadheads.

Thanks

Jim
Old 06-30-2004, 09:17 AM

Default RE: broadheads vs. mechanicals

I shoot cut up front style heads for almost everything, the only time i shoot mechanicals is for turkeys because of the bigger cut and less liklihood of a pass through. My cut up front heads are magnus. I like the solid ferrel, less moving parts, and ive always believed that if a cut up front head doesnt go through, more than likely nothin else would of either.
Old 06-30-2004, 09:19 AM
Nontypical Buck

First of all, a mechanical IS a broadhead...

depending of good of a shot you are and your setup(poundage, arrow size and so on)

A fixed blade Broadhead will easily penetrate more that a mechanical.. The only thing I can think of where a mechanical is better is in flight.. Your bow wont need to be as well tuned to get a mechanical to fly well... Where as a Fixed blade, you will need to have your bow properly tuned or your broadheads will be all over the place.

I personally use THunderhead 100's and they have performed flawlessy over the years..

just my two cents...
Old 06-30-2004, 09:26 AM

The only thing I can think of where a mechanical is better is in flight
How about a 2" cut? - WITH better flight
Old 06-30-2004, 11:45 AM
Nontypical Buck

Mecanicals are great on windy days , still you should limit your shot distance on those days . The place where I think they are missused is when someone is getting bad flight with a fixed head , and thinks a mecanical is "the answer" to their problem , it is not . Better to fix the problem first to where you are getting good flight with fixed heads before considering useing a mecanical type of head .
Old 06-30-2004, 01:07 PM
Giant Nontypical

I remember posting an article about broadhead vs mechanics awhile back. I decided to use mechanicals on small game. As for when i go after biggame, i'll have to decide when the season comes around, let alone find an place to actually go at.
Old 06-30-2004, 03:02 PM
Nontypical Buck

Well my freind welcome to bowhunting! First off mech`s and fixed blades are both considerd broadheads Now with that out of the way I know i have seen these type post on here before. And if mind mind serves me right, it lead into about a five or six pg. argument the biggest thing i think most are concerned about is penitration from mech`s. Not angled shots! THE BLADES WILL OPEN ON ANGLED SHOT`S! with out any problem! Mech`s today are made a lot better than they used to be. Some bowhunters say they will never use them and others have no problem with them and take game every year, Fixed blades on the other hand well lets face it, The blades are already open and ready to cut! But they do however take a little more time getting tuned into shape but once they are well in "my opion" can`t be beat! But if your bow shooting fast enuff and producing enuff K.E I don`t think you`ll have a problem at all using a top quality mech I have taken game using both type heads, And will contiue to use both types heads with out worring at all. But you still have to put the arrow where it should be, know matter what head you shoot!
Old 06-30-2004, 04:02 PM

I use Rocket BuckBlasters ,cause I like to watch my deer drop!!!!!
Old 06-30-2004, 04:07 PM
Nontypical Buck

mechanicals are the only thing that my uncle uses. And he has used them for 3 years. Killed 3 or 4 deer with them. couple turkeys, and 4 or 5 wild hogs. I bought some yesterday to use. Besides the fact that they are easier to tune they have a good cutting diameter. The ones I bought have 1 1/2 but the biggest I have ever seen are 3 inches. I have some fixed that I would use. But if I could only choose one I would choose mechanicals. Just my $.02 P.S My uncle shoots a Pse Nova GameSport and has passthrouhghs on everything he shoots with them

Trapper_Hunter
Old 06-30-2004, 09:48 PM

All I have to say is I've been hunting with a bow for a long time. and I have been blessed by only loosing two deer. I love the way mechanicals fly but both times where I lost deer I was using mechanicals (two different types). With square hits I had pass through problems both times . My KE was higher then the recommended KE in both cases and I never had that problem before. I personnally went back to a fixed blades.

Quick Reply: broadheads vs. mechanicals

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.