Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

broadheads vs. mechanicals

Old 06-30-2004, 10:17 PM

Default RE: broadheads vs. mechanicals

Tough question to ask via a forum... You might be better off to seperate your subject into two posts... best fixed blade and best mechanical broadhead. Take what you can from each and conduct some tests of your own to determine what form of broadhead you like. Putting fixed blade against mechanicals has always led to a mess of a post and any quality info that is shared seems to get drowned out by emotion.

Recommend as an alternate option you search on the net for results of independent broadhead tests. If my memory serves me correctly there is a gentleman who goes by the handle of 5Shot that conducts these sort of tests.

Good luck,
MD Piney
Old 07-01-2004, 12:51 AM

imo, fixed blades have less of a chance of something going wrong when that big monster buck comes in at twenty yards, i shoot wasp boss bullit broadheads 100 gr. and with my hoyt cam and 1/2 i dont have any flight problems, in fact they shoot pretty damn close the same as my field points, and i think thats good for a fixed blade. i'm very happy i with the wasp bullit's but you should go to your local pro shop and ask around and see what would be best for your setup. anyways i think fixed are the way to go because if you make a good shot you know its going to get the job done at any angle.
Old 07-01-2004, 03:38 AM
Nontypical Buck

If you go to www.broadheadtests.com and read the Mech vs fixed section it should offer you some help in choosing. Both are effective if you choose wisely.
Old 07-01-2004, 11:06 AM
Typical Buck

5 shot thank you for that link. That is a very helpful sight.

Thanks

Jim
Old 07-01-2004, 12:02 PM
Giant Nontypical

I use Rocket BuckBlasters ,cause I like to watch my deer drop!!!!!
What is your setup with that? What are those 2 3/4 inch three blade cut?
Old 07-01-2004, 12:31 PM

I have Scopion XP's and Slick Trick's both 100 gr. Which one do you think is worth using, I've heard both are more difficult on angled shots.
Old 07-01-2004, 02:52 PM
Nontypical Buck

100GR. SPIT-FIRE MECHANICAL NEVER FAILS ME. I use cut on contacts as well if the funds are low, i shot a big buck last year with a 2 dollar broadhead and it put a whole u wouldnt believe, and he dropped 20yds out.
Old 07-01-2004, 03:17 PM
Boone & Crockett

Your bow wont need to be as well tuned to get a mechanical to fly well...
This couldn't be farther from the truth.
Old 07-04-2004, 01:43 PM
Fork Horn

Mechanicals- Shoot very good, no tuning issues (from my experiences) flew same as field points, blades did not open on last deer of season but still made the kill. Good for beginners or those with limited time. Safer around the fumbling hunter. A new product.

Fixed Blade - More tuning issues, the blade is always open, easy to cut yourself, easy to sharpen, if shot is not a pass through the blades still cut with every movement, looks scary, used for thousands of years around the world.

I think those are fair comparisons.
Try both but you may want to go with the mechanicals your first season just to get off to a quicker start. Either way I guarentee you'll try both. Good luck with your new addiction!

Edit: My vote is for Fixed Blade.
Old 07-05-2004, 08:46 AM
Typical Buck

I have shot deer with fixed blade and both expandable. both have there pitfalls which have been stated. just pick a broadhead by a reputable manufacturer and you won't go wrong. asking about broadheads is like asking people which truck they like chevy or fords. any arrow will dispatch a deer when properly placed into the animal. some people say that the newer mechanicals don't deflect but indeed they do as I learned last year when I shot a doe and it deflected off of her chest. I changed from that particular broadhead (spitfire) and went to the shockwave. this year I am going to change to something else just to give new things a try.