Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Refund or No refund??

Old 07-02-2004, 07:00 AM

Default RE: Refund or No refund??

I've read that same scenario on many different outfitters websites. I don't think the outfitter is screwing you out of anything. I completely agree with what Mouse said. I think you should have known about that situation and thought about what you were going to do if you didn't get drawn before you gave him 1K and applied for the tag.
Old 07-02-2004, 07:03 AM
Giant Nontypical

Now, the outfitter states we can roll the deposit over for another year or hunt in a different state that they outfit in.
That is actual normal.
Old 07-02-2004, 07:15 AM
etw

WHO is the Outfitter????????? It's early JULY, IF your slot is not taken by the end of this month that paints a different picture. The Outfitter isn't out a dime IMO. But, "NO CONTRACT" yikes. Assuming any of us had booked this hunt and Assuming we had a contract that outlined the conditions as stated by bigdaddy... would any of you sign up and part with a grand??? WHO is the Outfitter????????????
Old 07-02-2004, 12:48 PM

Chalk it up as a expensive lesson learned don't book with a outfitter unless tag's are guarenteed and as far as rolling it over to another year you are already unhappy with your outfitter and I don't know how you could enjoy a future hunt with this guy. You got hozed and I am sorry to hear it.
Old 07-02-2004, 01:18 PM
Dominant Buck

I wouldn't chalk it up to anything. He says you CAN roll it over... doesn't say you have to. If you had your heart set on it it should be your option. It is beyond your control and he can't guarantee a legal hunt in his state as requested. I think he's just trying to intimidate you a little. I do believe you can be more forceful and recover your deposit. You've given him plenty of notice to fill the slot. He's probably already done so. He's just trying to bait and switch you a little is all. So you're talking $1000 from each of you... that's $2000. In most states that's a good enough case to take to the small claims court. It should have been discussed before hand .... but since it wasn't he's just as screwed as you are. He's provided nothing and you should expect your money back.
Old 07-02-2004, 02:41 PM
Nontypical Buck

Definitely a learning experience. Getting things in writing is hard to beat when you are putting your hard earned cash on the line.

It sounds like you have now made adjustments and are going to Missouri, nothing wrong with hunting Mo.. Further rolling the money over is not uncommon.

Just some thoughts:

The way Iowa is set up there are no guarantees to draw a tag. If it were me and I wanted my money back rather than hunt elswhere I would state that directly to the outfitter and if I got any resistance I would tell him I will give him one more chance to give me a refund or I go to the hunting forums on the internet and expose his "no contract" practices. If he has half a brain he will be a little easier to work with then.

I have seen refunds given post haste when the name of their business was put in a negative light on the forms and they see the response it generates.
Old 07-02-2004, 04:50 PM
Typical Buck

I think a good outfitter would have refunded the money.................
Enough said.

no Contract? Your chances are good in small claims to get your money back...especialy if he filled the slot.
Old 07-02-2004, 06:11 PM
Typical Buck

It is commen practice to keep the deposit to hold your spot. He should state that in his website or flyer. They usually give you the option of finding someone to fill your spot. This outfitter should now that in Iowa it takes a couple years to get a tag. You should always ask for a bunch of refferances, both successfull and unsuccessfull, call them all, ask all about the hunts they had, ask what was the worst part of the hunt. I personally never book, or pay a deposit in a draw state untill I have a tag in my hand. Hard lesson, yes. Take it on the chin and have fun in Missouri.
Old 07-02-2004, 07:48 PM

Without seeing the info provided to you I can't respond fairly for either side. What outfitter was it? Is there a website? You should post this info for everyone else's sake.
Old 07-02-2004, 09:10 PM

Sorry buddy, no refund. You shoulda done your homework and saw taht Iowa is a tough state to draw in some areas. I know the zone we own land in is about 1 tag every 3 for bow, 1 in every 2 for shotgun. tough luck. i'm taking the outfitters side. he's giving you three years.

slayer