Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

question

Old 06-29-2004, 04:04 PM
Typical Buck

Default question

OK. Ive seen this topic a few times but....

Alright. Snuffin in yer deer stand. I know about human smell but with all those new flavors and what not, would it bother or spook the deer or do yall think it would be a curiosity scent?
I got to think about it the other day and I just dont know. I thin the human stink would be covered up by the smell of the flavorin they put in it but what do yall think?
Old 06-29-2004, 11:27 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: question

To be honest, Spend alot of doe on my hunting duds, Don't want a 5 dollar can of skoal screwing me out of a big buck. I pack one in on my way to the hunting spot in the truck and one after i leave. Some people say it dosen't bother the deer, but for me I've seen 100% more deer without it. Your probably saying how can you make it all day, well, my answer is this, I can have a lip full of skoal draging my buck out or i can have a lip full with nothing!
Old 06-29-2004, 11:32 PM

If you've seen the topic a few times why bring it up again? Run a search and look through the old topics...
Old 06-29-2004, 11:39 PM
Typical Buck

Ive seen it on here but its always been about whether or not it spooked deer. I was wonderin about it bein a curiosity scent. Esp. the mint, wintergreen(bein my preference), or the berry blend.
Old 06-29-2004, 11:46 PM

I can see how it might act as a curiosity scent, but it's not something I would want to test out on my best stand site. Sound's like it would be a summer project to me.
Old 06-30-2004, 12:27 AM

Not exactly on the topic of dipping, but last season my brother sat down to have a one of his twently plus a day cancer sticks and had to stub it out to arrow a nice mule deer. This was the day after my other hunting partner arrowed an elk right after a smoke break (his not the elks...).

Were the animals checking out the smoke smell or was it coincidence? Granted, these were not heavily pressured and educated animals like your extra wary whitetails.

None the less, I might have to start smoking again...[&:]
Old 06-30-2004, 07:26 AM

Dinks and doe may come a running.................

But you will not draw in a mature buck with Mint chew........LOL
Old 06-30-2004, 08:56 AM

I don't have any conclusive study on weather or not chewing snuff will affect deer sighting's but I almost always have a copenhagen in while in my deer stand and have taken many nice bucks bow hunting. The way I look at it Bowhunting should be a enjoyful experience and if I have to sit in a deer stand without a dip it makes it a little more difficult to enjoy. Besides everyone tells me copenhagen looks and smells like worm dirt.
Old 06-30-2004, 09:41 AM

i think some of it is luck a friend of mine got his biggest buck while having a smoke sittin on the ground