Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

carbon vs aluminum

Old 06-29-2004, 05:37 AM
Typical Buck

Default carbon vs aluminum

I asked the ? once before and got no responses, but I am hardheaded and will try again. Is anyone shooting both aluminum and carbon thru the same setup? Does it work or what are the fall backs to trying this? My bow shop is telling me it won't work, but I would think the minor variation in diameter would not be prohibitive. I have a new ovation coming and was considering carbon for the first time, but I still have a good supply of aluminum. Let me know your thoughts on shooting both.
Old 06-29-2004, 06:17 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: carbon vs aluminum

If you tune for carbon and shoot an aluminum out of the setup, it might fly perfect. It might even have exactly the same point of impact without moving your sights. At least, out to 20-25 yards. Beyond that, all bets are off.

I've done it. I know others who've had the same results.

But a bow tuned for carbons won't be perfectly tuned for the aluminums. Broadhead flight with the aluminums might be okay. It might be really bad. Depends on whether the bow will let you get away with it or not.

You need to pick which arrow you intend to shoot, tune up for it, sight in with it and stick with that arrow. It's not uncommon to have to totally retune a bow simply because you switched from Brand X carbon to brand A carbon. Much less switching from carbon to aluminum or vice versa!
Old 06-29-2004, 10:00 AM
Fork Horn

kansas,
I just switched from alum to carbon and did not change my set up. Up to 30 yards they both shoot the same but after that the alum seems to drop faster. I have not paper tuned my bow yet because I'm not sure that I will stay with the carbon. (Like you I still have a good supply of alum arrows)
Old 06-29-2004, 12:45 PM
Fork Horn

I am a finger shooter and the change in diameter makes a big difference with my rest (plunger) so I cannot shoot them both. FYI, I went to carbon last year and I have been very pleased. I don't think I will go back.
Old 06-29-2004, 11:06 PM

Got great results the aluminum arrows were close to the same weight and the shaft dia.
was a bit smaller. But i have run out of arrows on a 3d course and finished with my buddies aluminums.
Old 06-30-2004, 12:55 AM
Typical Buck

It seems to me, as long as arrow choice is done correctly and the spine is right for both, that there's no reason why both wouldn't shoot equally well.

I do shoot carbons (2 kinds) and aluminums both out of my Razortec. There is no detectable windage difference in any of them. As you would expect, however, the vertical impact point differs with the weight (and therefore speed) of the arrows. My aluminums chrono at 228 fps and the light carbons I use for 3D move along at 270.

As far as having tuning trouble switching, that problem never cropped up. Perhaps I was just lucky.

BTW, I use a dropaway rest, so there are no potential arrow/rest contact problems either.
Old 06-30-2004, 01:21 AM
Giant Nontypical

I shoot carbon only so it would be hard for me to answer that one [:-]