Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Game Cam CONFUSION-what to do??

Old 06-27-2004, 08:07 PM

Default Game Cam CONFUSION-what to do??

I went out this weekend and set up my Stealthcam. This was my first experience with a game camera. I had mentioned on a previous thread that I didn't like not having time AND date on these pics, but many of you suggested I go with time and that's what I did. But in setting up the unit I had immediate concerns. First, it seemed like the effective range was awfully short. Also , I am concerned about flash spooking deer. Also, the camera only had a strap to tie it to the tree. Can be stolen easily. Also , I'm worried about all of the possible trash photos I may get from all the cows on the property, etc. So now the digitals seem really attractive( other than cost) . I guess what I'm trying to say is HELP!!! What camera is really the most sensible option in terms of overall affordability, convenience, picture quality,not spooking game,etc. , etc.???
Old 06-27-2004, 10:14 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Game Cam CONFUSION-what to do??

I'm a firm believer in saving a dollar or two, but when it comes to scouting good old fashion time and effort do the trick. Don't get me wrong i think those cameras are an excellent tool. For my money I would probably spend the money on a digital one, many options to choose from and you won't be dissapointed with the results.
Old 06-28-2004, 01:41 AM

buy the time you buy all the film and have it developed, and you have all the photos you dont really want you would probably be better off and it will be cheaper to go digital
Old 06-28-2004, 07:26 AM

Good morning caption.

As far as overall affordability My digital stealth cam I picked up of eBay for $230.00. The home brew cams look as though they are less expensive to produce. I'd like to read more about that before picking up another cam. The digital stealth cam date and time stamps as well as allows you to delete those pesky cows. Take a look on the bottom of your cam and see if there is a threaded hole. If there is, Stealthcam makes an arm you screw into a tree and into the camera. I've found this makes it easier to hide the cam kinda behind/on the side of the tree while still taking pics infront of the tree. The strap dosen't work this way. And then there is flash. The stealth cam can be set to take daylight pic only or 10 second AVI video durring daylight only. Neither of these functions make any noise when a pic or video is taken. For night pics with no flash the only option I'm familiar with is the Game-vu which takes infared pics although I've heard too many issues with pic quality from their older products. It was enought to keep me away.
Old 06-28-2004, 08:43 AM
Boone & Crockett

Considering your situation it may be more appropriate for you to go the digital route. The cow "issue" is what would concern me. If you cannot set the camera up in a location on the property where the cows will not be then you are going to get many pictures that you do not want and that means wasted film opportunities. In which case, a digital cam would be more cost effective. The digital stealth cam looks more affordable than some of the others I have seen and since I have experience with one of the regular models then that is probably what I would choose.

As for the effective range on the MC2-G....you can see from my pics that the average picture distance is about 5-8 yards with a few really close. This is not an issue in many cases for me as I put the camera in locations of relatively dense cover. If you are looking for maximum range then some of the more expensive stealth cams are the better choice.

Hope this helps.
Old 06-28-2004, 08:47 AM
Nontypical Buck

I went digital because I didn't want to wait to see the pictures and the cost now is only batteries. Yes they cost more up front but it is easier for me to get wife to go along with that then a constant $10 every other week for film and developing. This way I also can keep it up year round.
Old 06-30-2004, 11:43 PM
Nontypical Buck

I have a "Deer Cam" and like it. I have never taken a pic of a bird. It has a sensitivity switch on it which would let me if I want. But I do not think the birds will set it off. I would be concerned with the strap. If you think someone will see it, its gone! My first deer cam was cable locked to the tree and with no problem it grew legs. I was on private property also. This one I just purchased is going in a home brew Bear Box and will be chained and lagged to the tree it goes on. As for the film, once you get a few buck shots you will not care about $ and just want to find where and when he is returning. It will cost about $10 if your in a good spot. Use the 12 exp film also. I keep all my photos in a book, every one wants to see them. One suggestion I have read is use it in the off season and that will reduce your chances of it being found.
Old 07-01-2004, 06:33 AM
Typical Buck

I have the DC 100 and it's fine. When i made the purchase, the digitals were not a great option so I don't know what I would do if I were in the market for one today.

Regarding film and developing, my local eckerd drugstore and walgreen's is ok with processing the film with the understanding that they only print deer, hogs and turkeys. Since they only charge for the pictures you want, this arrangement is good for them and for me as they are not printing pics of birds, cows and racoons, only for me to say "toss them". They get a digital image on their processing equipment and if it is not a game animal, they simply don't print it.

Though unusual, my last roll of film had 24 pics of racoons (i put corn down for hogs) so the guy at eckerds didn't print any nor did I pay for anything other than the roll of film at $2. When i get good pics, i like having them in an album too.
Old 07-01-2004, 07:26 AM
Giant Nontypical

I ordered a Stealth cam just to give it a try ,I want to see just how they work and to see if I have any trouble with it being stolen or damaged ,before I go digital .It's a lot cheaper to find out this way than to go out and put up your digital just to come back and find out that someone has stolen it or damaged it .Sound's to me that the digital would probably be better for you ,but I'd like to test the waters first ,I'd still be ticked if someone stole my Stealth mc2 but I'd really be ticked if they got my digital . I know developing is costly and it would be much easier and cheaper being able to get rid of unwanted photo's ,but I think I'll test it first before spending the big coin on a digital. If thing's work out o.k. then next season I'll get the digital.

nubo

nubo

nubo