Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

how many times has your deer scent helped you bag a buck...

Old 06-26-2004, 11:42 PM

Default how many times has your deer scent helped you bag a buck...

does deer scent realy work.......has it worked for you.....thinking about using some deer scent this fall.....need some input......will it work for early bowseason
Old 06-27-2004, 01:02 AM
Typical Buck

Default RE: how many times has your deer scent helped you bag a buck...

First understand that there are 3 types of scents on the market. the first would be food scent such as apple or some other type of food, the second would be territorial scent such as buck urine or tarcel gland and the third type would be curiosity such as hot doe in heat or doe urine or toe musk. Each of these scents plays adifferent role in the season and mean different things. Put one of these out to early and you stand a chance of educating deer. Put the wrong scent out, you could blow your whole season and spook deer. Try to imagine this as a picture( I mean using your scents) The right scents put together make a masterpiece, the wrong ones you get nothing but paint. Experiment with different scents together and by themselves eventually the masterpiece will come.( Hopefully with 12 points or more)Good hunting
Old 06-27-2004, 09:20 AM
Nontypical Buck

Does deer scent work......... most of 'em....... NO. However, I've had excellent results (several P&Y) while using James Valley Scents Gels. The Lethal Weapon and Wall Hanger Gels have worked the best. IF I have EVER seen deer scent do what its supposed to do, it is JVS. You've got to try a small jar of it this season.
Old 06-27-2004, 06:10 PM
Boone & Crockett

I can think of only one buck that I shot which I know for a fact would not have been mine had it not been for a scent I was using. I had one of those tarsal glands hanging from a tree about a 100 yards away from my location. A buck was traveling a ridge parallel to the one I was on and did a nice ninety degree turn as soon as he was downwind of the tarsal gland. He went right to it and stopped right in my shooting lane (obviously rifle season).

Other times I would just call hit or miss.
Old 06-27-2004, 08:09 PM
Nontypical Buck

How do you know when and when not to use a certain scent.
Old 06-28-2004, 03:34 AM
Fork Horn

Bobcat I have had it work successfully 1 time. The other 4 or 5 times it has the problem with the Dumb^ss behind the bow. I have never had any luck with curiosity scents, but dominate buck urine with hot doe pee I get to work at the right times. With that said, I don't believe it works the manufactures tell you it does. I believe it works more as curiosity scent than anything. Last year using "Tinks Scent bombs" I had 2 different bucks walk right up to them and stat smelling the scent bombs. The bucks pinpointed the scent bombs from 30 yards away and went straight to it. Now this is where the moran behind the bow takes place, I had the bucks dead to rights and when I drew back I could nopt make the shot due to hunting stuff hanging from my e z hanger being in the way.

I always pour some kind of deer pee in active scrapes and have yet to see if it works in person. I do know that bucks keep using the scape after I puor it in there, but that about all I have noticed. I have never had luck with a drag line.

With all this said my personal belive is that it only works when bucks get going hard on the pre rut and through the hight of the rut.
Old 06-28-2004, 06:12 AM

HOnestly, every time but one that I have used scents, the bucks just ignored it. The only time it did seem to work was with Trails End #307, and I had 7 does circling the tree where I had used it.
Old 06-28-2004, 07:10 AM
Dominant Buck

I can think of only one buck that I shot which I know for a fact would not have been mine had it not been for a scent
There are probably more times it scared one away.

Illinois... you first have to have a woods WITH several P & Y bucks in it to hunt. Most of us don't have the luxury of one or two sightings a lifetime.
Old 06-28-2004, 07:19 AM
Nontypical Buck

I have personally taken a few bucks with their nose right on the cannister. A friend of mine had a GIANT buck LEAVE the doe it was following to hang around the cannister he had set in front of his stand. He missed two shots at it--it was too dark--and it STILL wouldn't leave.

Having said that, I no longer bother with scents. A pro shop owner I know questioned why bucks would investigate YOUR doe in heat scent when real does were depositing much larger amounts of it all over the woods. I had to agree and it hasn't hampered my sucess.
Old 06-28-2004, 07:24 AM
Boone & Crockett

I dn't use scents any more,just didn't seem to be worth the cost for me.

Quick Reply: how many times has your deer scent helped you bag a buck...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.