Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

how many times has your deer scent helped you bag a buck...

Old 06-28-2004, 07:45 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: how many times has your deer scent helped you bag a buck...

my last 2 bucks both came in those last few yards and stopped at the scent I had hanging out. A long time ago I had a fake scrape, buck walked right in, I missed. Come right back, I missed again. There have been a couple other times where I seen bucks cruising, hit the grunter and they put thier noses in the air...I had no scent out, and they never bothered to come in. Another time I did have scent out, but the wind was wrong for him to smell it. Hard to say if any of them would have come in had they smelled another "buck".
But as others said you can't go out putting strong rut scents, a month before it gets there.
Old 06-28-2004, 08:27 AM
Nontypical Buck

I am starting my 48th year of Bowhunting deer & have used deer Lure since I can remeber. I use musk-sex scents from around mid Oct thru the Rut. I do not use cover ups or food scents. I have so many experiences of Bucks & Does folling my scent trails they are to numerous to mention-I have shot Big & little Bucks right off my scent canister or rag at FEET. I have had does do strange things. I have used Tinks 69 with excellent results & Pete Richards. I mostly use Buck Stop. I have several experiences of Deer ON VIDEO as a result of using lures. I don't leave home without it. Good luck...I shot this Buck at 10 yards after he cut my scent trail at 40 yards & walked right to me.

Old 06-28-2004, 08:46 AM

I too have had good results with james vally scents. I also use those candles(can't think of the name). Just don't let them burn too long, they are real strong when they get hot. Too strong I think. I have had deer come in on a string when they smell these. Just make sure you use the right scent for the right time of the season.

good luck.
Old 06-28-2004, 08:56 AM
Typical Buck

i have had a buck come from directly down wind and stop, turn and jog from about 200 yards directly to one of my scent cannisters and stick his nose into it.
Old 06-29-2004, 03:03 PM
Nontypical Buck

I don`t use deers sent`s any more. out of all the years of hunting and using them i can count on maby one or two times i think it had something to do it! But i do use a cover sent! racoon sent seems to be some of the best cover sent i ever used! It work very well down here in the south.
Old 06-29-2004, 04:48 PM

Ive had scent work twice. Once a small buck came down a trail id laid with doe scent. Another time, i had a little buck rattle in and as soon as he hit a trail i laid down, he followed it to my stand. I didnt got shots at either deer though. And, i dont rely upon scents, just use them every now and then for some reason.
Old 06-29-2004, 04:51 PM
Nontypical Buck

Davidmil,

yes sir, I certainly realize that I'm fortunate to hunt in an area that produces P&Y class animals BUT my point is that when properly used, a quality scent CAN and WILL lure in "mature" "trophy" whitetails. If that deer is a 160 class 5x5 here or a 4 1/2 year old spike, they are still all trophy mature deer. Proper scent usage really can work.
Old 06-29-2004, 05:36 PM
RWK
Nontypical Buck

IL-cornfed have you ever hunted clay or wayne counties,or know of any one. I'll be coming up around nov.8th, for 5 days-is the rut on and hows your weather about that time. good hunting rich