Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Bowhunting for geese???

Old 06-13-2004, 06:58 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Bowhunting for geese???

We hunt geese with shotguns over decoys every year, I just decided that this year I want to take one with my bow. I was thinking about doing what logs did and let them land in the decoys. I have a portible blind so I should be able to get a shot off.

Thanks for the info. I would be happy to get more.
Old 06-13-2004, 08:27 PM

Mike were gonna have to try for some geese with our bows i have a place to go
Old 06-14-2004, 08:22 AM
Nontypical Buck

Sounds good les, he who shoots the most the other person buys the brew.
Old 06-14-2004, 09:01 AM
Typical Buck

I went goose hunting for the 1st time last winter at Crab Orchard in Illinois and had a blast, It was awesome.
Old 06-14-2004, 04:08 PM
Giant Nontypical

i think that it legal about everywhere, if you can gun hunt it you can bow hunt it. sounds like fun stuff but could get really expensive. arrows arent cheap
Old 06-15-2004, 10:51 AM

We do a lot of bow hunting for geese here in Mass. Especially the ealy season "local bird" hunt. It allows us to get out a month before anything else opens and get some time behind the bow shooting at game and we can shoot 5 a day. Spot and stalk is always fun, they have sharp eyes and you have to be perfect to get within bow range when they are feeding in a field. If you are finding they ALWAYS bust you and you want a little meat for the freezer try this technique I watched an old timer use once. He grabbed his bow by one end and entered the field from the complete opposite side, moving it over the ground as if it was a metal detector. Moving very slowly he made wide zig ziags in the general direction of the geese. By taking about 40 minutes to get close they didn't spook at all, then at about 25 yards, he stopped. Grabbed his bow, knocked an arrow and drew .. they were getting nervous .. but just stood there and watched him till he took a big one and they all went skyward.
We'll stalk them on water as well, because it's warm we'll enter the cattails and slink through till we're close. Arrows float so when you hit them they don't go far, and they are as easy to retrieve as the dead geese are.
In the fall I'll sometimes take my bow in the blind with me as I've often seen deer while duck and goose hunting. I've tried taking them just as they hit dirt and been successful from time to time, they usually bust you drawing though.

The main reason we started hunting geese with a bow is that getting permission for this type of hunting is even easier than asking to shoot coyotes here in the east. Nobody likes the mess geese leave .. and once they lose their fear of people, they become quite aggresive. I've had some of the most anti-hunting people ASK me to kill the geese on their property, and as long as I can hunt deer and turkey to I oblige them.
Old 06-16-2004, 07:12 PM
Giant Nontypical

MA Jay, i think you have the whole goose whacking thing down, thanks for the info!!!
Old 06-16-2004, 07:16 PM
Giant Nontypical

I couldn't even image trying to shoot a bird while its in the sky, i can hardly hit a animal on the ground lol. I figured once i get better at shooting, then i'll try something like that. Bowfishing is next on my list. I was watching this show the other day when this guy was bowhunting pheasant and got about 4 of them (it was a special hunt i guess) i was in awe about that [:-]
Old 06-28-2004, 07:30 PM
Typical Buck

what type of arrow head do you use for geese?
Old 06-28-2004, 07:51 PM

Deleted, advertising is prohibited in the forums. This post was nothing more than an ad for Accurest.

Quick Reply: Bowhunting for geese???

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.