Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

How fast does a bucks antlers grow?

Old 06-12-2004, 12:50 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: How fast does a bucks antlers grow?

Its all relative. A 200 inch deer is gonna grow antler at a much higher rate than a 50 inch grossing deer ie...his age, nutrition and genetics. Most bucks start showing growth around here in April. So if we do the math, Most bucks that I have watched and videod seem to be done growing by August 15th here. 4.5 months or 105 days .... so....with that said...Young bucks.. fractions of an inch per day..120 inch bucks.. around 1 inch per day.... 200 inch grossing monsters... up around 2 inches a day average.

Be interesting to hear when you guys see your deer start sprouting antler and when you feel they are completey grown. Last fall the buck I shot, I videod him on July 23rd and he was ....by comparing him on the wall now and on the video...he was full grown for the most part, he may have added a few over all inches of tine length but his mains are exact in comparison.
Old 06-12-2004, 10:49 AM
Typical Buck

i have also heard that whitetail antlers can grow close to 1 inch per day
Old 06-12-2004, 04:28 PM

Does anyone have any pics of a specific deer at certain stages of antler growth, if so I would love to see them.