Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Oak Trees?

Old 06-06-2004, 09:12 AM
Typical Buck

Default Oak Trees?

I can't seem to get the search feature to give me any results so I'll ask it again.

I know that white tails prefer acorns off the white oak, but I've heard you'll wait 15 years before they have a decent crop. That would put me at 60, so I'd like something a little sooner. I have numerous oak (mostly bur oak) and walnut trees on my small acreage. I want to add a couple more trees. What would you all suggest. I saw a program on the Outdoor channel pushing Sawtooth oaks. Never heard of them before this, do any of you have experience with them? Thanks for your help.
Old 06-06-2004, 09:16 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Oak Trees?

Try some Saw tooth oaks
Old 06-06-2004, 10:01 AM

Longbeard is right. Sawtooth oaks are fast growing and will start producing in about 5 yrs. (some reports have them producing in 3 but IMO that is a rare occurance). You can get bare root trees in the late fall and early winter for a about a buck a piece. A friend bought a sack if 60 and gave me 40 of them. I planted 24 on my 80 and have the rest growing in pots at my house. Plan on putting them out next winter.
Heres a link to some info on acorns and oak trees that deer prefer.

http://www.bowsite.com/bowsite/featu...ns/acorns.html

good luck
Old 06-06-2004, 11:01 AM
Giant Nontypical

You could also plant some apple trees
Old 06-06-2004, 01:40 PM

Considering you are in Iowa, I'd say you are looking at at least 20 years for white oaks to produce and 10 years for sawtooths. I'm in southeast Pennsylvania, which is generally the warmest part of the state - I would think that our weather is similar to the mildest parts of Iowa. My oldest sawtooth oaks are at least 10 years old and still haven't produced. I'm hoping to get some acorns this year. Sawtooth oaks seem to take it really hard when it gets below 0 degrees in the winter or when you get a late frost.
Old 06-06-2004, 02:32 PM
Nontypical Buck

If you're looking for something faster growing, with a decent crop, go for fruit trees or beech. Beech will produce between 5-10 years after planting...
Old 06-06-2004, 05:09 PM
Typical Buck

Aussie guy, already have an Orchard of about 15 apple trees on the edge of my property and have planted 5 more on the opposite side of the property. Am thinking of transplanting a couple of the white oak trees from the neighboring property on to mine. These trees are about 2" around and about 12-15 feet tall, but it seems it will require lots work. The local nursery wants $200 for a tree of that size. The neighbor will give them to me for watching his property. (He doesn't live there) I also hunt his property. Thanks for all the replies and the web link.
Old 06-06-2004, 06:25 PM

Am thinking of transplanting a couple of the white oak trees from the neighboring property on to mine. These trees are about 2" around and about 12-15 feet tall, but it seems it will require lots work.
Something to consider. I was watching a program on transplanting trees from nurserys. It will take 1 year for each inch of diameter for the tree to start growing. It will live, it just won't grow very much. A smaller tree would be easier to transplant and may very well over take the larger tree in a few years.
The Bur Oak is in the white oak group species. The tree flowers in the spring and the acorns mature at the end of the growing season. It makes large acorn crops ever other year, and it's fruit is of considerable importance to whitetail deer. I would use a fruit tree type fertilizer and pore it to your largest trees. Work with what you already have.
good luck
Old 06-06-2004, 07:16 PM
Fork Horn

So how fast do apple trees grow?
Old 06-07-2004, 06:54 PM

So how fast do apple trees grow?
Growth rate doesn't really matter on fruit trees. They start producing in a year or two and never really get very big. Fruit trees are sweet smelling and deer like to browse on the twigs, foliage and fruit. Same with crabapples and pears.

Quick Reply: Oak Trees?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.