Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Bear recovery help needed

Old 06-07-2004, 09:59 AM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Bear recovery help needed

Bow_nut,
Don't be too hard on yourself. Last year I lost a doe that I shot. Made what I thought was a good shot too. Still don't know what happened. But believe me, folks with firearms fail to find animals too. And besides, the remaining bear population will clean up the critter you couldn't find. It goes to a good cause after all. Heck, there's even a small chance that the bear jumped at the sound of the bow and you struck some muscle and that he'll heal up and be back bigger and badder next season.
Old 06-07-2004, 10:44 AM

Thank you everyone for your replies,
Something went wrong, and I'm not exluding error on my part.
I had a lot of time to take this shot, even took 4 pictures of the bear before I shot it(somehow I'm not in the hurry to have them developed - but will do it tonight)
I used my binos to make sure I was picking the right spot, as it is hard to make out all the features on black bear lying down. Maybe I should've waited for him to get up, hoping that he will stand still and not walk outside my shooting lane.
I'm blaming myself for not waiting, if I waited I might've got perfect broadside shot at the bear standing on all four, or the bear would've walked away unharmed, in that case I would have pictures of "the one which got away" and nice memories of terrific adventure, without all the dark thoughts going through my head now. Lesson well learned.
Thanks again,
Bow_Nut
Old 06-07-2004, 01:35 PM

Put your stand back up, refresh your bait, and go back after it. I always wonder why people punish themselves for an entire year because of one lousy circumstance. Maybe the bear moved as you released. Maybe your arrow hit something unexpected and the penetration wasn't what you hoped for. There are things that can happen that are beyond your control. You feel terrible. That's healthy. I'd frown upon you if you were happy about it. But now I think the best thing you can do is go out after another one and stick him good. Make a good shot, and put him down within 50 yards, and then feel good about your season. Don't beat yourself up over it. You keep hunting for long enough and it is bound to happen again. Just do your very best. Learn from this one and go get 'em.

-BB
Old 06-07-2004, 08:34 PM

Bow_Nut - I was in Manitoba Black Bear hunting the last week of May. One of the guys in our group hit a bear two consecutive nights. He felt both shot were pretty good. He didn't find either bear. Our outfitter was not concerned about either bear because the blood trails in both cases were minimal and he repeatedly stated how tough those animals are. My friend was really down on himself but stuck with it and made a successful shot the last night in camp to overcome his earlier bad luck. Stick with it, black bears are super tough and have a small kill zone.
Old 06-07-2004, 08:38 PM

gotta get back on the bike. what's bear taste like anyway?
Old 06-08-2004, 08:43 AM
Typical Buck

gotta get back on the bike. what's bear taste like anyway?

CHICKEN!

Sorry, couldn't help myself.
Old 06-08-2004, 08:49 AM

i was actually being serious - i've never had it, but would like to try it sometime.
Old 06-08-2004, 06:35 PM

depends on how you cook it. the one bear i shot the outfitter only give you the backstraps cause he said the rest of the meat is no good. we marinated it in red wine and cooked it and it was way to gamey tasting for me. Real meaty and tough. i will stick with some good old vension