Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

sight or target?

Old 06-01-2004, 01:23 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: sight or target?

Both eyes open? never heard of that. have always just used one eye myself
Old 06-01-2004, 01:59 PM

I used to shoot with one eye open as well but went to both eyes open last year. Makes a big difference! I focus on the target and let the pin center itself.
Old 06-01-2004, 02:23 PM

I am trying to get used to the "both eyes open" method myself. I think this is the better method, it just a little tricky with a bow. That is how I shoot my handguns, both eyes open and looking at the target.
Old 06-01-2004, 07:13 PM
Dominant Buck

I wish I could remember who had said this quote, "If it's really big, both eyes shut"
Old 06-01-2004, 07:38 PM

I use a peep sight and one pin. I do better with both eyes open and focus on the target.
Old 06-02-2004, 05:35 AM
Nontypical Buck

I always focus on the target!
Old 06-02-2004, 07:22 AM

Zak123-

You asked if you focus on the target, is this wrong. No it is not wrong at all. As you can tell from all the different answers here, there is no "right" answer.

I will say that for me and the competitive shooters I shoot with, we all use the focus on the site pin method. I am sure in my case it is a result of years of shooting competitions with rifles and pistols as well as archery.

I'll say this, if your goal is to shoot 3" groups at 20 yards any method with practice should get you to this goal. If you would like to get to the point where you can not shoot 2 arrows at the same point because you know at best you'll be gluing on a new fletching, at worst you'll be ripping apart a robin hood, then I would suggest trying the focus on pin method. I question why anyone who focuses on the target would bother with a rear peep, as it becomes useless unless you are focusing on centering the front site in it with each shot. I think many people use it as an adhoc form adjuster .. when it really works great for what it was designed for, a rear site aperture.
Old 06-02-2004, 12:38 PM
Typical Buck

zak123
I shoot w/ both eyes open, w/o a peep sight.
I do make use of a "No-peep" to keep my form in check.
Generally I check my target, look at the pin and place it on the target, look at the target again and then shoot.
I don't know if this will help of only help to confuse you. Either way good luck and good shooting.
Old 06-02-2004, 01:02 PM
Giant Nontypical

Target only, both eye's open! If you look at you sight the target will become blurry. Also you can't follow through with the shoot when focusing on the sight. With just one eye open you can't see your arrow flying strait or fish taling.
Good info.
Old 06-03-2004, 03:28 PM
Giant Nontypical

I use the both eyes open and focusing on the pin and the target.NIETHER is blurry.It is really a method of focusing on the target but like someone stated earlier,get centered and level with one eye and then open the other.The pin will automatically superimpose itself on the target and they will both me in focus.BUT you must shoot both eyes open to achieve this.

I will tll you that all the coaches I have talked to along with professional shooters reccomend focusing on the target.

I just got through with a very productive practice session and can tell you that this works.

Quick Reply: sight or target?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.