Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Is there a certain technique

Old 05-28-2004, 09:53 PM

Default Is there a certain technique

Is there a certain technique to increase your draw weight? I did 1 turn every week but I think this is too much too fast. I have to bump it down.

I'm sorry for asking so much questions but I'm new.[]
Old 05-28-2004, 10:03 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Is there a certain technique

Don't be sorry for questions.That is the best way for one to learn about anything.

As for increasing draw weight.I believe the best way to increase it is in the weight room.I have been shooting for years and I can pull MUCH more than I could starting out but I can't shoot much more poundage than I did starting out.My comfortable weight is about the same as when I started.My pulling weight has increased quite a bit but what I shoot comfortably hasn't increased that much.

The most important thing in shooting is being comfortable in your shooting and equipment so you are capable of hitting what you are aiming at.The rest will take care of itself.
Old 05-28-2004, 10:06 PM
Boone & Crockett

One turn each week is probably way too much. You might want to try one turn per two or three weeks or even per month. Assuming that you are shooting at least every other day.
Old 05-28-2004, 10:43 PM

zak:

The draw-weight that you can comfortably handle from a form-correct standing position on a range is not always a suitable draw-weight for all hunting conditions and shooting positions. I almost lost a shot on a big buck one season because I was over-bowed for the position I had to take the shot from.
Old 05-29-2004, 05:39 AM

one thing i always do is loosen up my shoulders beore shooting by doing arm circles - small, med, and large - forward and backward - palm up and palm down - 10 of each - make sure you are using your shoulders. when i'm warm its amazing how much easier it is to pull - and i don't get the tendonitis flare ups anymore.
Old 05-29-2004, 08:04 AM
Nontypical Buck

I too like gibblet try to warm up before a shooting session. The problem is when you are actualy hunting you don't, or can't warm up before a shot. You need to be able to draw your bow sitting, kneeling or any other position you can imagine. I even practice bending (leaning) around a tree to shoot.
Old 05-29-2004, 08:38 AM

One thing is more important than any when it comes to draw weight. INJURY. You want to be sure you have the longevity to enjoy this wonderful sport. Shoulders are a very sensative and complex joint that can be very prone to injury. Make sure you are starting slowly and advance carefully.