Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Its great being out there...

Old 05-26-2004, 10:16 PM

Default Its great being out there...

I was wondering...other than the actual hunting related events what are the greatest things you all have seen or had happen while hunting?

Mine would have to be while in my stand I had a osprey land on a branch about 2 feet away. He sat there for several minutes surveying his (which up to that point I had thought of as mine) territory. It made my whole season.
Old 05-27-2004, 04:51 AM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: Its great being out there...

I have had several experiences similar to yours but never with a bird that big. I guess that having the feeling like I really "blend in" or belong in the environment is what really gives me a sense of satisfaction.
Old 05-27-2004, 05:10 AM
Nontypical Buck

I had a similar experience with a Great Horned Owl. It swooped in silently and lit on a branch just out of arms reach. Took a quick look around and went out to the edge of a field and lit in a large Oak tree. That was definetly one of the coolest things I've ever seen. I've seen a few hawks snatch up chipmunks and mice through the years as well, but not real close like the owl. Other than that, it's just deer, turkey and bear coming through, a bunch of squirrels and chipmunks and woodpeckers.
Old 05-27-2004, 08:12 AM

The only thing that comes to mind was during a stock two years ago. It was a windy (very windy) day and I was sneeking through a large stand of pines. As anyone who has hunted in pines durring a windy day knows that they make a lot of noise between creeking and crashing into each other so I was acustom to the racket and paid it no attention. Until that crack that just didn't sound right. Off to my right about 10 yards a full grown pine aprox 75 to 80 feet tall, let go from the forrest floor and came crashing down beside me. It was over before I could react. Luckily I was hunting the wind which caused the tree to fall beside/ behind me. Had I stardet that stalk 25 or 30 minutes later I might not be typeing now.

Needless to say I don't hunt pines on windy days any longer.
Old 05-27-2004, 08:37 AM
Fork Horn

I had a bald eagle land in a tree about 50 yds away from me. I didnt even know that bald eagles were in the area, until I saw a story on the news about one being spotted in the area.

The other neatest thing I have seen was a bobcat get after a turkey and the turkey outsmarted the cat.