Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Tighter Groups

Old 05-26-2004, 07:13 AM

Default Tighter Groups

This fall will be my third year in bowhunting (sure wish I would have started earlier in life, it's a blast!). Anyway, I practice with my bow quite often but I've reached a plateau of sorts. My groupings are not as tight as I'd wish. I don't have a problem hitting within the "8-inch pie plate" at 35 yards but I usually have a couple inches seperating my arrows. Even at 20 yards, my groups aren't all that tight. Does anyone have any advice on how I can get tighter groupings?
Old 05-26-2004, 07:22 AM

Default RE: Tighter Groups

Probably the best thing you can do (if you haven't already) is fine tune you bow. Any, even minor flight disturbances will be magnified at this distance. Between tunning and practice,practice,practice you should be able to get tighter groups IOM
Old 05-26-2004, 07:37 AM

I had my bow tuned in January. I've been shooting one or two times a week since then but just can't seem to group any better. You'd think all that practicing would solve my dilima. Maybe it's just a matter of concentration.
Old 05-26-2004, 07:53 AM
Fork Horn

UMPIRE,
With all that practice your consistency should be there. As adams said, fine tuning should be done. Move your nock in small increments and your rest until you can acheive the best groups possible. Check your arrows before doing this. Spine could be off or the straightness. As many others have pointed out on this forum, there are many factors to look at to acheive the desired group. Now that it is the off season, try some things, not only will you get the groups you want but you will learn alot about your bow (I am assuming you have someone tune it for you). Keep asking those questions and someone here will help you. There is a lot of knowledge on this forum, it has taught me a lot!!!!
Old 05-26-2004, 08:10 AM

PM ........GVdocholiday.....I think !! [8D]

He posted a good diagram one time regarding group tuning !

Just cause the shop says it's tuned doesn't necessarily mean it is !

You need to figure out if your groups are off center left ,right, high, or low and adjust your rest and nocking point accordingly ......and if you have good arrows........your groups will tighten up !!
Old 05-26-2004, 08:14 AM
Boone & Crockett

Umpire,

shoot at a smaller target. I have a saying I think holds true....it's easier to hit the center of a golf ball than it is the center of a basketball....

Too many people shoot at too large a target....like a pie plate........cut yourself some 1" or 2" squares and place them as your target rather than a dot in a plate....you'll find you aim more carefully and your groups will come together rather than releasing cause your in the plate....don't be satisfied that your in the plate.....rather that your arrows are in a 1" square....it's like picking a hair rather than aiming for the kill zone.....you do this and your groups will shrink.
Old 05-26-2004, 08:41 AM
Giant Nontypical

shoot at a smaller target
Very good advice. I would suggest the same. Only don't go too small. I ussually use a 2" target for twenty, three inch for thirty. I usually just use stickers that you can get at hunting stores.
Old 05-26-2004, 11:50 AM
Dominant Buck

ORIGINAL: BobCo19-65

shoot at a smaller target
Very good advice. I would suggest the same. Only don't go too small. I ussually use a 2" target for twenty, three inch for thirty. I usually just use stickers that you can get at hunting stores.
Why don't you try a chipmunk. I just could't resist.
Old 05-26-2004, 12:28 PM
Giant Nontypical

Why don't you try a chipmunk. I just could't resist.
LOL

I'll leave that to our little friend Squirrelhunter91.

BTW, where has he been? I think some may have scared him off. I hope not.
Old 05-26-2004, 03:57 PM

There is one simple way to get tighter groups.

Two words: Shoot Better!

Quick Reply: Tighter Groups

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.