Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Best "on stand" bino..Need Opinion.

Old 05-20-2004, 05:17 PM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: Best "on stand" bino..Need Opinion.

Stump... well that's a different story. We all have to shop within budgets and family well being. I admit... mine was probably my biggest UNneeded splurge of all time in hunting. I like many others on here had gone through a half dozen smaller compact and lesser quality glasses over the years including an old handme down set of Baush Lomb. I guess I had finally had enough and made the plunge. With their warranty, I know this is the LAST pair of binos I'll ever purchase. At 3 years I sent them back for a little repair in the rubberizing, just a seam line near an eye piece. They replaced the focus mechanizm, upgraded to the new twist out eye pieces, repolished and recoated the lenses, and re-rubberized the binos at a cost of one way shipping cost from me. Brand new pair of binos. I use mine in the field about 60 days a year plus at sporting events, on vacations etc.

I do admit... there's a big difference in spending $200 vs $960.
Old 05-21-2004, 07:09 AM

Davidmil,

I totally understand what your saying though. Whether your talking about a scope on a gun or binos, there's really NO substitute for the best $$ really can buy. I look at it this way, if you spend $1000 on the best binos...that $1000 you spent will(should) last you 20 years. Give or take some time. Small investment, IMO, for that amount of time of use if you can afford the initial $$. Someday I'll be there.
Old 05-21-2004, 06:55 PM
Typical Buck

If I hunted more open range country such as out west, thier would be no question that the higher dollar binocs 500.00 to 1000.00 range would be in my bag. I carry a 200.00 dollar stiener in my bag, but to tell you the truth, I am rarely in a situation to "have" to use them.

I carried a 30 dollar cheapie in my bag for years before I bought the steiners...And they served what little purpose i used them for while hunting.
Old 05-21-2004, 07:58 PM

Stump_MN_Hunter

You will be well served with those glasses. My best bud and hunting partner bought that exact bino about a year and a half ago. He thinks they are great, I have looked through them and the a very good glass for the money. About a month ago I was in the market for binos and was willing to spend some $$ for good glass. I asked on here and Matt/PA highly recomended the Pentax DCF SP's I bought them and couldn't be happier. But I wouldn't have 2nd guessed the steiners either.

Jeff
Old 05-21-2004, 08:54 PM

i got a pair of 10x50 bushnells perma focus' i like em. a little big but good for sittin near fields
Old 05-21-2004, 09:13 PM
Dominant Buck

I say I bought my last pair... BUT... if I were by some chance to end up in Big Sky country I'd have to seriously consider going with a little more power. My 7 powers are all I need in Eastern Whitetail woods. I don't hunt fields. I believe I'd go to a 10 power and sacrifice low light viewing.