Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

New to bows and the forum

Old 05-17-2004, 02:46 PM

Default New to bows and the forum

I have been reading around on the net and the forums here. I would like to get into shooting a bow and wanted to start with a longbow. But after a few words of "wisdom" on the traditional bow hunting forum they suggested I start with a compound bow or a recurve and then move to a longbow. My question is could anyone suggest an inexpensive ($200-$300) bow to start with? I do not mind spending the money, but I want to get the most "bang for the buck" so to speak. It will be mostly for killing paper with the occasional hunt. I allready hunt with a black powder rifle amd absolutely love it. The bow is next.
Old 05-17-2004, 02:52 PM

Default RE: New to bows and the forum

I would suggest finding a reputable pro shop convenient to you , if possible , starting out ! You can usually find good used bows and get a ton of first hand knowlege ! And build a relationship with folks that can help you face to face !
Old 05-17-2004, 02:53 PM
Giant Nontypical

gpfreek! welcome to the forum this is where you need to ask these question's ,I'm sure you'll get the best advise here. All the bow companies have a mid range and there are so many to speak of .I'd definetly give Champion a look they have a great lineup in this $$$$ range .As I said they all have bow's that will meet your demand's .Good luck on picking your new bow .

nubo
Old 05-17-2004, 02:57 PM

Thanks. Like I said I am new and know nothing about bows. Other than they are quiter than my Blackpowder rifle. I kind of got interested because places to shoot my guns where I am at are kind of sparce whereas I can shoot my bow right in my front yard.
Old 05-17-2004, 04:09 PM
Fork Horn

Welcome to the forum!!! You will find a wealth of GOOD information on this forum!
Old 05-17-2004, 04:45 PM
Nontypical Buck

You might consider the PSE Nova. I think you can get a "kit" that will sell for around $200.00.

Here's a couple of links, but you should be able to find one comparably priced at your local dealer.

http://www.basspro.com/servlet/catal...=SearchResults

http://www.basspro.com/servlet/catal...=SearchResults
Old 05-17-2004, 10:04 PM
Typical Buck

You could check out the Reflex bows also , very good bows for a reasonable price IMO.
Old 05-18-2004, 03:54 AM
Nontypical Buck

hey there and welcome, goodluck
Old 05-18-2004, 04:54 AM

Welcome to the board. I would also suggest that you find a pro shop to help you out with your frist bow. you know your price range and thay should have something.
Old 05-18-2004, 05:22 AM
Boone & Crockett

Ditto on Mike's PSE Nova suggestion but like the others stated, get it setup at a pro shop. That will save you alot of headache right off the bat. The Nova is normally around $180-$190 bare bow most places and an inexpensive accessory kit will run you about $60. Throw in another $40 or $50 for some inexpensive aluminum arrows and you should be set.

Quick Reply: New to bows and the forum

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.