Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

how far will they go

Old 05-17-2004, 06:47 PM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: how far will they go

A deer properly hit with the right broadhead will usually go down anywhere from 30 to 75 yards. A rare one may go 100 but not much more. A poorly hit one may go a "mile to a pond".[8D]
Old 05-17-2004, 08:26 PM

Most of my deer go down within 100 yrds at the most. But I did have one deer that I felt was a really good shot (ended up being only one lung and a liver shot) went about 1/2 mile, but I think I push him to soon.
Old 05-17-2004, 09:02 PM
Dominant Buck

If not found I'm sure the scavengers will thank you.

That doesn't mean take a bad shot. I'll leave that to bob.
Old 05-18-2004, 05:38 AM

As you see, it can be from 1-1,000 yards! lol. I would try to talk with the landowner now to make a rapport and see if they would allow you to track a deer. Don't wait till it happens.
Old 05-18-2004, 07:33 AM

hopefully they wouldn't mind you removing a dead deer from their yard. i doubt they would want to leave it out there very long.
Old 05-18-2004, 07:46 AM
Giant Nontypical

im worried about the deer running across the road or into somebodies back yard
How far away are the back yards and houses. Make sure you are set up outside the mimimum aloud in your areas regulations. If you are OK, then I would not worry. Just make sure you only take high percentage shots. And don't take any iffy shots. I always tell myself that if there is any "HOPE" involved in the shot, then don't shoot.

Other then that if you do happen to hit one that goes on the property, then go and ask permission to gain access. Most people don't mind if you just need to go and retrieve a deer and are not hunting on their land. As a land owner, I would never tell someone "no" who need to go on my land to get a wounded deer.