Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Group Size

Old 05-16-2004, 08:35 AM

Default Group Size

I tuned my LX yesterday to shoot bullet holes at 3,6, and 10 feet. Here is a picture of the groups I am getting. The distance is 30yds (measured). I shoot Gold Tip Expedition Hunters. The groups measure 2" (6" green target). Is this what I should expect from a "tuned" bow? Somehow I expected smaller groups after my efforts. I still need to practice a lot more to work on my form though. What do you guys think? Give me honest opinions now I can take it!!

Old 05-16-2004, 10:16 AM
nub

Default RE: Group Size

I previously posted this at another site so I thought I would post it here to see what kind of respones I get.
Leave this part out?
I realize you've only been shooting for a short time. 2" groups, after just a paper tune, are great!. BUT! You'll never know how good they can be unless you tune for groups. Make very small adjustments to nock and center shot until they are the tightest and then you'll know your present potential. I think its called tinkering.
Old 05-16-2004, 11:28 AM
Giant Nontypical

Regardless of tune, we still have actually do the shooting.
We aren't machines so you should see a few arrows now and then tighter than this and probably a few worse, but if you are shooting honest consistent 2" groups at 30yrds you are doing plenty good.
I have days where I'd pay $20 to shoot consistent 6 arrow 2" groups at 30 yards......and the other rare day where I will shoot something that resembles one big fat arrow.

I can't determine your shooting potential, and it looks to me like you are getting to the point of matching arrow spine, straightness and slight tuning issues etc........the little things that can drive you off the bridge, or to the next level.
Old 05-16-2004, 08:13 PM
Nontypical Buck

Carwi--for 30 yards the group is quite acceptable, however if you're aiming for the 'center' of the green spot you will need to drop your 30-yard pin 'down' a bit.

This would take your arrows 'up' towards the center of the green spot.
Old 05-17-2004, 07:13 AM
Boone & Crockett

Personally, I think this is a respectable group size for 30 yards. As the others made mention to already though this can and does change depending on the shooter's ability. If your bow is optimally tuned for your setup and you continue to get this group size despite repeated practice and tinkering then I would say "yes" this is what you can come to expect.
Old 05-17-2004, 08:20 AM
Giant Nontypical

Pretty good grouping. Just wondering if you are shooting fixed broadheads, then I'd say very good.
Old 05-17-2004, 09:32 AM
Dominant Buck

I can only hope to group that closely at one third the distance , I see nothing wrong with that group .
Old 05-17-2004, 10:34 AM

Well...........besides the point that not one of em is in the X........

I guess its a good group
Old 05-17-2004, 11:44 AM
Nontypical Buck

I think that is a GREAT group. If you can hold 1 inch for every 10 yards, all the way out, you are doing AWESOME.

I would suggest, as above mentioned, lower that 30 yd pin a bit to bring the entire group up into the middle.

--Bob
Old 05-17-2004, 06:50 PM

You are shooting nice groups for 30 yards..however, if you keep shooting at such a big bullseye you'll never see how tight they can actually get. What you need to do is throw up a quarter sized dot right in the middle of that green circle and aim for that. "Aim small miss small"...It don't get any more truthful than that.

Quick Reply: Group Size

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.