Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Does anyone hunt with a true back tension release?

Old 05-11-2004, 05:34 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Does anyone hunt with a true back tension release?

What about ONE OF THESE?
Old 05-12-2004, 10:32 AM
Typical Buck

Believe me when I say this, there is not a back tension release out there that can not be command shot when the shooter wants to.
Old 05-12-2004, 04:47 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: reylamb

Believe me when I say this, there is not a back tension release out there that can not be command shot when the shooter wants to.
I agree with that. I used to shoot a 4 finger Stan, which is a "purely backtension" release, but when i first started shooting it, I would catch myself jerking it back so it can be done. I have one of the Copper John eagle 4 fingers that I'm playing with right now. I may get a two finger version just to try it out since I usually drop at least my pinky once I get to full draw.
Old 05-12-2004, 04:55 PM
Giant Nontypical

I agree that a pure BT can be shot on demand but the results are usually worse than shooting a trigger style release on demand,atleast for me thay have been.

I personally don't like the idea of BT for hunting,BUT,to each their own.
Old 05-14-2004, 12:22 AM

If you properly train yourself to shoot a hinge type BT release there is no reason on earth that you can't hunt with one. I hunt squirrels with one and very few animals you hunt move more than they do. It's no problem.

Now, a guy that has been properly trained to use a BT release will find it difficult, if not impossible to get off a shot quickly with a trigger release. Once you learn the proper way to shoot a release your shot process will take the same amount of time regardless of the type of release.

I can almost guarantee that plenty of animals are wounded by trigger punchers/jerkers.
Old 05-14-2004, 07:30 AM
Typical Buck

Thanks AK,
I've been shooting a back tension for three years and shooting it right for two so for me to pick up a trigger feels terrible. I shoot a back tension for Indoor all winter, 3d's, outdoor target, and I want to use it hunting but I dont think it will work with a heavy glove on.[]

The pro shop owner that I shoot for, shoots one of those Copper Johns like Mike from texas suggested, I think I will try one out!

I don't remember the last time I ripped one of with my back tension!
But that wasn't shooting at a critter, but alot of tournament pressure![&:]
Old 05-14-2004, 09:13 AM
Typical Buck

Bird Hunt, check out Zenith's hunter BT release. It has an extra large handle to accomodate gloves. I do not wear heavy gloves, so it is not a problem for me to use my standard Zenith.
Old 05-15-2004, 01:08 AM

I'll have to check out that Zenith. I have to admit that I do not shoot my BT release when I hunt in the winter. I use a Winn Freeflight relaxation release. It is the only release I have found that hits to the exact point of impact that my Carter Atension does. To keep it from firing you must keep pressure on the index finger, just like a BT release. Just like the BT release I shart to apply back tension and relax my hand. The result is a true surprise release.
Old 05-15-2004, 09:56 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Bird Hunt Dog

I shoot a back tension for Indoor all winter, 3d's, outdoor target, and I want to use it hunting but I dont think it will work with a heavy glove on.[]

The pro shop owner that I shoot for, shoots one of those Copper Johns like Mike from texas suggested, I think I will try one out!
I don't use heavy gloves either, I just don't like them. The best thing I have found to do is use one of THESE along with some chemical handwarmer if it's cold enough and a thin pair of cotton gloves mainy for camo purposes. My hands never get cold with this setup and trigger feel is never a problem.
Old 05-15-2004, 10:10 AM

Of course, you're in Texas and I'm in Alaska