Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Need opinions on new bow!!!

Old 05-04-2004, 07:44 PM

Default Need opinions on new bow!!!

I currently have a single cam PSE Baby G(2001?)- Its ok -fast- , but, I have never been able to shoot it really well , even with a great deal of practice. I am told this is becuase of it's balance and vibration issues.(Not to mention the occasional slap) So I went to the archery shop...
THE QUESTION- Do I try to make some improvements-ie. -carbon arrows,new rest, doinker, etc.. ------OR---

Do I go out out and drop a Load of $$ on an Outback or Xtec? []I have shot both and they are outstanding that will be another decision.

Thanks for the help!!
Old 05-04-2004, 09:11 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Need opinions on new bow!!!

There is no doubt that the Baby G is one of the harder and least forgiving bows on the planet so before I dumped a bunch of money into gadgets and still have a bow that is hard to shoot, I would get a new bow if it were feasable.Not bashing the bow but it does have it's limitations.

The bows you listed would be good ones to try.I personally have an Xtec as well as an Ultratec and all I can say is wow as to how well they perform for me.I have shot an Outback while helping someone tune it but I never shot it for groups.I just shot it through paper and setting centershot on it and a properly spined arrow had it shooting bulletholes right off the bat.It was very smooth with little recoil.

Heck,you can get the new bow and still get all the gadgets to put on it.
Old 05-04-2004, 11:26 PM

Get a new bow.

That sticker shock wears off really fast once you feel how sweet it is to shoot a nice new bow.

I have a Bowtech Patriot and simply love the extra speed it gives me. I have a short draw length and can still hit 275fps at 63lbs. I can't get that from other bows. I used to have 3 pins at 10-20-30.........now I have 1 that covers all 3.

You won't be sorry with either bow you mentioned.......I personally hate Mathews grips but I LOVE the feel of the new Hoyts........I would get an X-Tec or someone's used Razortec if I was shopping.

Good luck
Old 05-05-2004, 06:30 AM
Nontypical Buck

While you're at it take a look at the Martin SlayR. "Speed at Last". Mine is 27.5" draw, 58lbs, 305gr arrow doing 292fps. The magical 300fps mark is not only possible, but a certainty. Has a short brace height but that's easily remedied by shooting the correct draw length.

Most people don't get it. They hit their arm and have bad accuracy (left-right) because they are shooting too long a draw. I've shot bows with 5 3/4" brace and don't hit my arm, and I don't bend at the elbow. The other reason is wrong hand placement in the bow. Heel of the hand should never contact the grip area. Just some things to ponder.
Old 05-05-2004, 06:49 AM

sorry but have a problem with some of new mathews bows, why is there such a huge brace height, why would the serve the bus cable, and wht an impreesive price tag they have. for something that seem to myself no better then sq2"my opinion". Bow tech well pull pull back why to hard to
make me happy. There seems to be large varity of bows out there now,
and all seems good been want to get get to allton to try a "wisper bow"
that was shown on here before. I don't rember what what the baby g brace height was but if it was under 7 the bows tend to get abit squirrelly.
but they also gain a fair amount of speed. when looking check out there brace height and weight of the bow it seems the gained weight as also to help quiet it down with ibo weight arrowws.
thanks
Old 05-05-2004, 08:06 AM

Sell the old bow, Hang up the hat , call it quits.

Get out while you can, Other wise get prepared to spend thousands and be on this forum everyday[:@]
Old 05-05-2004, 08:13 AM
Giant Nontypical

Get a new one!!

There aren't many things better than trying out all then new bows, sizing them up and then picking your favorite!!
Old 05-05-2004, 09:07 AM
Nontypical Buck

Daboys,
What's wrong with more brace height?They serve the cable to handle the roller guard and the price tag isn't any worse than any other high-end bow--what was your problem again?
Old 05-05-2004, 09:44 AM
Boone & Crockett

There is no doubt that the Baby G is one of the harder and least forgiving bows on the planet so before I dumped a bunch of money into gadgets and still have a bow that is hard to shoot, I would get a new bow if it were feasable.Not bashing the bow but it does have it's limitations.
I could not have set it better myself. The brace height on the bow and the extremely reflexed riser make it more difficult to shoot than just about any other bow currently on the market. Just about any choice you make, assuming it fits you properly, will probably prove more accurate and enjoyable to shoot.
Old 05-05-2004, 09:48 AM
Typical Buck

why is there such a huge brace height
This is a direct result of the "parallel" limb design. The only was to decrease the brace height would be to make the limbs shorter, and then they would sacrifice speed and power.

Quick Reply: Need opinions on new bow!!!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.