Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

P&Y Club

Old 05-05-2004, 10:06 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: P&Y Club

I don't hate the P&Y club but do know that many fine Bowhunters have animals on record. I also know 4 Regular members that I might question the "story" behind the entry. They all have tainted entriess BUT proving it is another story. Soooo, if I know of 4 how many exist total? Some (not all) get carried away with the fame & fortune to keep up the image. Unfortunate for them as they miss out on the true thrill of Bowhunting.
I have several animals that "Would' qualify but choose to leave that to others. I have the personal satisfaction of taking an animal regarded by others as a TROPHY. In my many years of Bowhunting I consider any bowkill a trophy-If I draw my bow to take an animal THEY are a trophy be it Male or Female.

Old 05-05-2004, 10:21 AM

There seems to be three groups of people who get offended when I point out the truth about trophy hunting and what it's doing to our hunting heritage.
The ones who can afford to pay for great leases or purchase a ton of land and trophy hunt.
The ones who profit from the lease.
The die hard trophy hunters.
All I can tell you is that if you don't like your situation, change it. If you don't have enough money to buy a lease, get another job, go back to school, etc.

Don't just sit around and bitch about it, do something.
Old 05-05-2004, 10:27 AM
Super Moderator

Better stop and think about what you are saying. Pope and Young has done much for bowhunting, probably more than any other organiztion!

If anything has harmed hunting, as far as trophy hunting, check out the numerous tv hunting programs that promote only taking trophy bucks and not so much the hunting experience. High fence hunting, etc. Pope and Young will not recognize qualified entries on any animal other than "fair chase" and rightly so.

ewolf, you can always enter a buck in Buckmasters without any fear of deductions[8D].
Old 05-05-2004, 05:23 PM
Nontypical Buck

All I can tell you is that if you don't like your situation, change it. If you don't have enough money to buy a lease, get another job, go back to school, etc.

Don't just sit around and bitch about it, do something.
I never said I couldn't afford a lease! I'm quite comfortable with my current finacial status! Your missing the point.

Cougar brings up a good point. Maybe the finger shouldn't be pointed at the P&Y club but rather the video industry like he says.
Old 05-05-2004, 06:29 PM

I agree with Cougar Mag. P&Y has done alot for our sport. Why do you hate these organizations ewolf? I don't think most hunters hunt just to get their name in some book. However, if I was ever fortunate enough to have an entry, absolutely I would enter it. What's wrong with being proud of an accomplishment like that? IMO, it's no different than accepting a trophy for winning a golf tournament, fishing tournament, etc.
Old 05-05-2004, 07:30 PM

Old 05-05-2004, 07:41 PM
Nontypical Buck

I guess I have a slightly different perspective. While I believe that ever deer harvested is special in it's own way and I don't believe in just searching out a P&Y caliber deer year after year to make it a success, I will have to tell you from my past year's experience, being able to record my first deer in the record book, only capped off the most outstanding year i've had as a hunter. I wasn't looking to make the book, I was just very lucky to take a great buck. 180 5/8ths, my buck of a lifetime. He's on the wall, and next to him is a certificate and official scorers sheet from P&Y. It's just kinda nice to be noticed kinda on a national level. Sure it cost 25 bucks to record it, but there are lot of less worthy causes I given my money to and I don't get a certificate or mentioned in the book.

I guess everyone has their opinion, and I'm not stating that mine is the correct one, just mine. If I ever get that lucky again, i'll probably enter it.

Kelly
Old 05-05-2004, 08:40 PM

By BowFanatic:
"WAKE UP MAN!
To answer your question , damn right I'll take a doe anyday!
Now show me the leases that will let me come and harvest does on their property and dont tell me to come all the way down to Texas to do so! Do you have a lease? Do you open it up to any hunters who want to harvest does? "

Well the only leases I know about are in Texas, so thats the only place I can tell you to go. And yes I'm on a lease, 2 actually, plus I have a nice size ranch down here that I hunt on and lease out the rest to 5 guys from Houston. And yes from time to time we let non lease members come out and shoot does, and we have donated some "cull buck" hunts to the TP&WD youth hunting program. One of the leases that I am on is enrolled in a special TP&WD program which allows each lease member to recieve unlimited either sex tags, which I give several each year to other people and invite them out to kill a doe or mature management buck.

By BowFanatic:
"There seems to be three groups of people who get offended when I point out the truth about trophy hunting and what it's doing to our hunting heritage.
The ones who can afford to pay for great leases or purchase a ton of land and trophy hunt.
The ones who profit from the lease.
The die hard trophy hunters."

I'm a member of all three of those "groups" and you didnt offend me at all. Trophy hunting is not ruining the "hunting heritage". And please tell me the "truth about trophy hunting", I would love to hear it.
Old 05-05-2004, 09:27 PM
Nontypical Buck

I'm a member of all three of those "groups" and you didnt offend me at all. Trophy hunting is not ruining the "hunting heritage". And please tell me the "truth about trophy hunting", I would love to hear it.
Sorry! I was just rambling. Bad mood the past few days , I got a family crisis going on.

I dont hate P&Y nor do I hate trophy hunters.