Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Snakes?????????????

Old 05-05-2004, 11:53 AM

Default RE: Snakes?????????????

All I have to say is that I'm dang glad that I live in a state where we don't have any that would bite. Atleast where I'm at. I wouldn't kill one just to kill but I can't stand them. Heck, I can't even watch the Discovery channel when they have snake shows on.
Old 05-05-2004, 01:58 PM

Been hunting in Louisiana all my life and I have ran across too many snakes to count. Cotton Mouth, Copper Head, Rat Snakes, Water Snakes,King Snakes, Rattle Snakes, and Even one Coral Snake. I use to kill then and catch them when I was younger, now I just walk on by and leave them be.. They do much more harm than good, and if you don't fall into a nest of them mainly Cotton Mouths (Water Mocasin, and their nest are normally in the water) or step directly on them your chances of getting bit are low. I am speaking with a lot of experience also..
Old 05-05-2004, 02:35 PM
Typical Buck

ALL RIGHT!!!! Why did I read this thread. I hate snakes. Not sure why...they just creep me out. I just moved to Dallas from Chicago. I used to come across Gardners butdidn't care. Still would'nt pick one up or anything. I'm down here now. I've been told snakes are more rare around here than they are out in W.Texas, but... I can't stand em. Saw a small snake by my garage a week ago. It was maybe a foot long. I got a broom and swept it away down a drain. I don't want to kill them, but I don't want to see em either.

All this talk about Water Mocasins and copperheads, rattles and such down here in TX....makes me want to take this season off. Seriously giving me the chills!!!!!

j
Old 05-05-2004, 02:48 PM

justhrowit

Just don't walk in the creeks, and don't move any rocks and you more and likely will not even see one..
Old 05-05-2004, 04:32 PM
Giant Nontypical

I don't like and don't want anything to do with them either . snake's give me the creep's .

nubo
Old 05-05-2004, 06:54 PM

I don't want her to be scared on snakes at all!!
Bird Hunt Dog- Not telling you what to do, but sometimes a little fear is a good thing. I'd hate to have one of my boys in the woods with me and reach out for a rattler because he had No Fear at all. JMHO
Old 05-05-2004, 11:09 PM

I live in Queensland, Australia and have I think about 6 or 7 of the worlds deadlies snakes kicken about[&:]. But that ain't gunna stop me huntin, NEVER!!!

I usually see a snake on one outa two hunts but most of em are non-venomous and nothing to worry about.

Stalkin Steve
Old 05-05-2004, 11:44 PM
Boone & Crockett

Snakes are wonderful animals. They can be some of the most bueatiflul animals you have ever seen. Treat them with respect and 99.9% of the time they will leave you alone. Most people get bit when they mess with them and for some reason think they have to kill every one that they see. What they don't realize is that snakes are great at pest control and the vast majority of them are non venomous.

I grew up in Florida and just West of Houston TX in Katy until I was 16. Cotton mouths were just another animal in the woods. Any time I went out romping around the woods I would usually see 5 to 15 of them. None of them ever acted agressive towards me unless I picked them up, almost stepped on them, or provoked them in some way. In fact most of them tried to get away from me with out ever striking at me.
Old 05-06-2004, 01:44 AM
Nontypical Buck

Welllllllll, snakes CAN hurt you, if you're unlucky enough to step on one and him bite you (assuming he's a poisonous species)

I live in Arkansas, grew up in Arkansas hill country where we got rattlers, copperheads and cottonmouths and I aint never been bit or really even ever close to it. I killed a few in my younger days but now I won't kill one for any reason.

Why ? They're becoming rare IMO. Last fall I came across a really nice rattler on the hwy ... maybe 6', timber rattler, must have had 10-12 rattles and a button. He was on the warm pavement, after the rain, searching for frogs etc I imagine. Anyway, we turned around, went past him, gathers roadside gravel, then pulled back up along him and scared him back into the bushes from the cab of the truck. Next vehicle would probably have locked the brakes up on that beauty !

Snakes are not evil, I kinda like them
Old 05-16-2004, 03:21 AM

Its a shame that a lot of people kill them on the spot. Snakes are a vital part of our environment. My Father taught my brothers and sisters and I to always leave them alone and they most likely wont try to open a can on you. Whenever I see a snake I sit back and observe if it doesnt retreat. They are a beautiful creature and should be paid respect, unless they are a threat to you or your family. But, most of the time dangerous encounters can be avoided.

Quick Reply: Snakes?????????????

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.