Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Snakes?????????????

Old 05-04-2004, 03:46 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Snakes?????????????

I've heard a few live by Rochester!
Old 05-05-2004, 08:43 AM
Typical Buck

Washington is full of snakes! A few less since the Democrats are currently out of office.

I dislike snakes. Ran a 5 foot bull snake over the other day in my truck. Actually, if there had not been another truck coming, I'd of swerved to miss him. They actually do some good out here in the country by keeping the rodent population in check.
Old 05-05-2004, 08:49 AM

In the South it is fact of life. We have to deal with cottonmouths, copperheads, and rattle snakes during the early season. I usually just slap on some snake proof boots and go at it. It makes walking in the dark just a tad spookier

The rattlers really are no problem, as most I have encountered are not aggressive.

Cottonmouths and copperheads WILL strike you, especially the young ones.
Old 05-05-2004, 08:56 AM
Nontypical Buck

There are several rattlesnakes on one area that I hunt but the others mostly just have cotton mouths and copperheads. I don't see many while hunting. Occiasionally squirrel hunting and occaisionally during early bowseason. I typically ignore them. However, we have them fall in the boat quite often when we are froggin. We frog on the river and we catch them with our hands. A lot of the time the frogs are laying up under bushes and when you go in to get them, cottonmouths fall out of the tree. I typically kill them with a boat paddle when they do that. If they don't tresspass, I don't bother them. If they do, I kill them. I used to pin their heads down and catch them and mess with the people in the boat. However, after seeing some people either jump in the water or start crying etc. I realized that it probably wasn't as funny as I thought it was.
Old 05-05-2004, 09:16 AM

I have always been interested in reptiles. At age 9 I began to study them and by the time I was 30 was writing articles for a monthly science mag named hepelogical and Copia about the snakes and lizards of Vietnam. I also sent live lizards and preserved venomous snakes to San Diego state collage. Here in this part of So-Cal fifty miles North East of LA we have four or five species of rattlesnake and several no venomous snakes. I still find them interesting although I don’t study of do any writing.

Atrox
Old 05-05-2004, 09:16 AM
Giant Nontypical

They are ok no problem at all and taste good if cooked in a little BBQ sauce
Old 05-05-2004, 09:20 AM
Nontypical Buck

We know all about snakes in Florida . Allmost every trip I'll see pigmy rattlers , one or two . About 5 years ago duck hunting I saw about 5 mocicins in on trip , by far our meanest snake . Year before last I saw a 5 foot eastern diamond back , they are getting rare around here . Timber rattlers all over my Georgia lease , very beautyfull snakes . I leave them allone , trying to mess with them or kill them may just backfire on you , never had a problem with snakes , they kill lots of mice and rats , let um do what they do , unless theres lots of them and littel kids around , thats a diferant story .
Old 05-05-2004, 09:44 AM
Giant Nontypical

I am fascinated with snakes. I've yet to encounter a rattler in the wild, but some day I hope to under favorable conditions. Most of the ones I see are the common garter snakes and the various water snakes we have here. I get a bit angered when people just indiscriminately kill snakes(especially harmless ones) out of ignorant fear.
Old 05-05-2004, 09:45 AM

At camp Pendleton in the 50s most of the rattlesnakes were gone from an area known as mainside. The result was an infestation of ground squirrels and wood rats. We would have work parties to shoot them with 22 shorts, only expert riflemen were used. Rattlesnakes in remote areas should be left alone, as they are a major control of rodents.
Atrox
Old 05-05-2004, 10:59 AM
Typical Buck

I'm with ya! I hear all the time that people around here chase garter snakes down with the lawn mower for no reason! That tans my hide!

The garter snakes are thick on my lawn and it makes me sike when I accidentally get one with the mower! Every chance I get I pick one up and show it to my daughter who will turn 3 on the 20th. I don't want her to be scared on snakes at all!!

That would be different if we lived somewere where there were venomous snakes, I wouldn't want her to be scared of them but I also wouldn't want her picking them up either!

Quick Reply: Snakes?????????????

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.