Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Could use some good input.....

Old 05-04-2004, 08:30 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default Could use some good input.....

Well, it’s that time of year when I start telling myself that I need new broadheads. I think this year I want to shoot mechs as I have in previous years. I’ve used fixed for several years and switch back and forth about every other year now it seems. What I’m looking for is a mech that has blades that open without deflecting the arrow on quatering away type shot. I also want the same head to have at least a 1.5” cutting diameter. I’ve been looking at some larger heads, but nothing catches my eye…..a little help would be appreciated in my quest for the best mech. I’m open to suggestions of any kind, fixed or mech, large or small. I really don’t care what I shoot, but I need a heavy blood trail. I hunt in nasty thick clearcuts where trils zig and zag every direction. If the blood is sparse it’s like looking for a needle in a haystack. I like to remove that ‘problem’ with lots of blood…..if I can that is!
Old 05-04-2004, 09:02 AM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Could use some good input.....

The best mechanical head I have found not to deflect on quartering shots is the Rocky Mountain Snyper. I have used this head for 2 years now and have taken several deer with them. All have been complete pass throughs and ususally the entrance wound will be slightly larger than the exit wound. Great blood trails also. I don't know what your set up is, but this head does not require as much KE as some of the other mechanicals out there. IMO this is a great mechanical head that flies just like my field points.

http://www.rockymtbroadheads.com/01-snyper.html
Old 05-04-2004, 09:04 AM
Boone & Crockett

Considering your design criteria I would agree that the Rocky Mountain Snyper is probably the best head to fit your criteria. That new G2 Tekan might also fit the bill.
Old 05-04-2004, 09:06 AM
Fork Horn

Ive been considering the MOAB, havent seen or heard anything except what the company says, but I guess its worth trying.

http://www.aftershockarchery.com/products.aspx
Old 05-04-2004, 09:33 AM

Take a look at Rockets. I am shooting the Sidewinder-3 100gr. They have had sharpness issue in the past but the last pack i got were great. They fly very well as do most mechs. Alot of it comes down to personal preference and what kinda bow setup you have. If your only shooting 50 lbs of KE stick to a smaller cut on contact mech head.

EB
Old 05-04-2004, 09:38 AM
Nontypical Buck

I've shot Game Traker First Cuts with some success, nothing negative, harvested a doe with Rocket Steelheads, but I switched to Rocky Mountain Snypers last year. I really liked them. Very sharp, they shoot great, and good penetration without deflection and blood trail. I'm going to stick with them. One buck and one turkey with them.
Check out 5shots review of them. Sorry I don't have the link.
Old 05-04-2004, 09:41 AM
Nontypical Buck

If I were going back to mechanicals, I sure like the looks of the Steelhead 100 XP.
Old 05-05-2004, 05:30 AM
Nontypical Buck

Thanks for the replys guys. I like the Snypers, but I wish they were larger or a 3 blade. I think I'm going to try those Snypers out and see what they're like for myself. It seems everyone around the boards that use them can't say enough good things about them. Oh, I forgot to add in my first post that I feel pretty comfortable shooting any head mech or fixed with my setup.....I'm shooting about 75 ft-lbs of KE....I was looking for something that didn't deflect. I'll try and check out the G5 Tekan too, they look wicked!
Old 05-05-2004, 05:32 AM
Nontypical Buck

I'd like to see a 100gr 'Extreme Steelhead" like the 125gr model. I don't have anything against the Steelheads accept for the tiny cutting diameter.....making a model with a wider cut would sell me pretty quickly though.