Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Spring deer hunting?

Old 05-06-2004, 08:59 PM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: Spring deer hunting?

Mark.... it can be tough but it really needs to be done in a lot of areas. This state got in this predicament with all the closed land and skimpy bag limits a few short years ago. I had such a place and almost lost it to a group that came in offering their services to thin the herd. I had been told by one of the land owners not to shoot the young and small and mothers. That doesn't leave much and doesn't help the herd. I brought Len and Will in and we whacked the heck out of them. Len and Will are my body count boys... I just stir the pot and keep my hand in.

If we the hunters can't control the numbers when offered the chance... they'll find other means. There are "Sharpshooter" teams all over the country getting paid for this. We get to do it because we love to hunt and the outdoors. Admittedly, we'd rather have it otherwise.... but we have to chop the herd hard before we can control them.
Old 05-07-2004, 10:01 AM
Nontypical Buck

If you need help, remember I'm only 20 minutes away!

Seriously though, I faced nearly the same dilemma last year. I can shoot does with any weapon before the seasons start. I went out one day last June--in shorts, a t shirt and sandals--sat on a rock and watched a small group of 5 deer walk out in the field. There was a small buck--which I wouldn't have shot even if bucks were allowed, 3 extreemly small does and 1 very pregnant doe. Through binoculars, I could actually see the fawns moving inside her! I couldn't bring myself to do it. It's probably best to do it then because after they're born and running alongside their mother, it's far worse IMO.

I never went back before the season because I couldn't orphan the fawns leaving them to die a slow, horrible death. The best bet is to look for the rare dry doe and others that aren't mothers. Good luck.
Old 05-07-2004, 10:45 AM
Typical Buck

Well, I guess it's time to get on with it. We will have plenty of venison this year for the freezer.
Old 05-07-2004, 11:36 AM

If the fences are out than you can't look at it like an ethical hunting situation. Look at it as population reduction and take whatever stes are needed to achieve that goal as efficiently as possible. If you don't kill the pregnant does your not being fair to the person that asked you to do it. It'd be hard for me as well, but....I'd manage.
Old 05-08-2004, 10:10 AM
Typical Buck

You are correct Trushot. I have decided to put a whloe slew of guys out on the property on a given day and really try to whack them. I have about 10-15 archers that are going to help out. Probably going to post up 2-3 guys in each area so as to have multiple kills from each area. Once all the killing stars to happen, I am sure that deer activity will begin to slow down and to the landowner, we will look like heros. Just the scent and the activity will surely make the deer more wary and thus fewer sightings by the horses and jockys.
At least thats the plan right now.
Old 05-09-2004, 06:52 AM
Nontypical Buck

mlaubner
I know I'd probably feel the same way about shooting the pregnant does...however, that's exactly the ones I would target. You're getting more bang for your buck. It's a job, just do it, and don't worry about it, and definitely DON'T tell your wife about the details. Since it's bowhunting...your chances will be less than if you were using a rifle, so you can't afford to be near as picky. You'd better whack them whenever you can. I would shoot every doe, large or small that came by...pregnant or not. You and the landowners will reap the benefits in the end. And yes....like len and david said, get a long list of those that want meat....sounds like your gonna have a bunch of it. Good luck
Old 05-09-2004, 08:19 PM
Dominant Buck

ORIGINAL: mlaubner

You are correct Trushot. I have decided to put a whloe slew of guys out on the property on a given day and really try to whack them. I have about 10-15 archers that are going to help out. Probably going to post up 2-3 guys in each area so as to have multiple kills from each area. Once all the killing stars to happen, I am sure that deer activity will begin to slow down and to the landowner, we will look like heros. Just the scent and the activity will surely make the deer more wary and thus fewer sightings by the horses and jockys.
At least thats the plan right now.
Keep us updated on how your plan turns out. My guess is they didn't issue enough tags to make dent in that area.
Old 08-29-2004, 09:40 AM
Typical Buck

Default Update: Spring deer hunting?

Well it has been a couple of months now and between opening a new restaurant, being a husband to my wife and a father to my five boys, I have managed to "tag" 6 does off of the farm.
I have had some help from Davidmil and Len in MD, of course Doomsday has been out there a lot too.
Whacked 6 or 7 ground hogs, and a fox w/ mange...called DNR to see if they wanted to examine the fox.
So as it goes we still have four more permits to use very quickly... within the next 2 weeks! It may just be time to stop for awhile to let the deer settle down a bit before archery season opens up
We keep seeing a bachelor group of 9 bucks traveling together, some are in the 125-135 class while others are just typical 1 1/2 yr old bucks.
It should be an exciting rut, as the bucks have fewer does to choose from, which should generate some spectular territorial sparring matches!
The land owner is happy because the jockeys are seeing fewer to no deer in their morning runs. Fewer groung hogs means fewer holes for the horses to potentially step in and damage themselves. Overall..."So far, so good"! We retain rights to hunt!
Any way, that is the current situation.